Question Z370 Gaming 5: C4 and C5 LED code error

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielSC

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Hi everyone!

I've just turned on my computer and had a problem...
When I turn on, it appears c4 and then c5 led code error on my mobo. I've tried to reset the cmos, switch the ram slots... However, I always get the same problem with led code error and the computer doesn't post. And after 2 minutes, PC restart and goes all over the problem (c2 then C4 and then c5)...

C4 appears most part of the time

All fans (case and CPU) are working fine and so does my GPU

This problem came today's morning, but yesterday It was working fine! (about 1.5 years working fine)

I don't even get to BIOS

Here's my config:
Mobo: Aorus Z370 Gaming 5
RAM: Corsair LPX 2X4GB 2666MHZ DDR4
CPU: i7 8700 3.2GHz
PSU: EVGA 650w GOLD (Non-modular)
GIGABYTE GTX 1060 G1 6GB

Any suggestions for fixing it? Or something is dead?
All help is appreciated!

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wondering if these help you:

Gigabyte Z170X doesn't POST (C5 error) having previously worked fine.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-error-having-previously-worked-fine.2600763/

Both C4 and C5 are reserved debug codes.
Were you overclocking in any way?
I would also consider remove all but 1 RAM module and trying this in different slots, if this yields no results, then try the other module in the same way. Then let us know how it goes.

DanielSC

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Wondering if these help you:

Gigabyte Z170X doesn't POST (C5 error) having previously worked fine.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-error-having-previously-worked-fine.2600763/

Both C4 and C5 are reserved debug codes.
Were you overclocking in any way?
I would also consider remove all but 1 RAM module and trying this in different slots, if this yields no results, then try the other module in the same way. Then let us know how it goes.

I've never done an overclock.
I've just finished removing all RAM's and tried in different slots, It happens the same error even if without RAM.

I went to manual of my mobo and It is telling that is a problem with DRAM, because If the CPU/VGA/DRAM LED is on (another piece of LED, It is not that shows C4 and C5), so this means the corresponding device is not working normally.
You can check here in page 26: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z370-aorus-gaming-5_1002_e_190520.pdf

So, all of my 2 ram's didn't work and my mobo is telling that the problem is in DRAM. My question is: Does my mobo died (in ram slots) or I have the bad luck and got my 2 RAM's died at the same time?
Note that when I tried without RAM, It happens the same error

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've never done an overclock.
I've just finished removing all RAM's and tried in different slots, It happens the same error even if without RAM.

I went to manual of my mobo and It is telling that is a problem with DRAM, because If the CPU/VGA/DRAM LED is on (another piece of LED, It is not that shows C4 and C5), so this means the corresponding device is not working normally.
You can check here in page 26: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z370-aorus-gaming-5_1002_e_190520.pdf

So, all of my 2 ram's didn't work and my mobo is telling that the problem is in DRAM. My question is: Does my mobo died (in ram slots) or I have the bad luck and got my 2 RAM's died at the same time?
Note that when I tried without RAM, It happens the same error
Yes the Debug lights will also help indicate where the problem is, is the RAM LED lit up then I am assuming?
If you try it without RAM and the RAM LED lights up, this is expected as the Debug LED effectively means the component isn't detected or has failed.

Possible, but unlikely that 2 RAM modules both fail. So it still doesn't work even with only 1 RAM modules installed (when both RAM modules are tried individually)? And you hve tried them in all slots?

DanielSC

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Yes the Debug lights will also help indicate where the problem is, is the RAM LED lit up then I am assuming?
If you try it without RAM and the RAM LED lights up, this is expected as the Debug LED effectively means the component isn't detected or has failed.

Possible, but unlikely that 2 RAM modules both fail. So it still doesn't work even with only 1 RAM modules installed (when both RAM modules are tried individually)? And you hve tried them in all slots?

Yes, It doesn't work with only 1 RAM module in all slots (I did this with each module of pair in each slot of mobo).
I did the same using the pair modules, It didn't work too (tried in alll slots).
And yes the RAM LED lit up whether with RAM or without it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So it works when you use 1 RAM module - REGARDLESS as to which RAM module?

Are they both from the same pack sold or 2 individual RAM modules sold seperately?
Assuming this is a build that has worked previously but now has stopped working?

You may want to try plugging in one stick, enabling XMP, shut down, then add the other stick and see results.

DanielSC

Prominent
May 9, 2019
So it works when you use 1 RAM module - REGARDLESS as to which RAM module?

Are they both from the same pack sold or 2 individual RAM modules sold seperately?
Assuming this is a build that has worked previously but now has stopped working?

You may want to try plugging in one stick, enabling XMP, shut down, then add the other stick and see results.

The sticks are from the same pack sold.
My PC doesn't even get to BIOS and It doesn't work with just 1 stick or 2 sticks of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.