z390 and Intel Core i9-9900K Windows 8.1 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2019
On a new PC build, I have installed Windows 8.1 via DVD OS disk. It seemed to install without any issues, but on the first and subsequent restarts, it takes 10 minutes to boot into the windows environment, and then with little provocation, crashes. Attempts to repair or reinstall the OS from the DVD results in the system freezing in the “preparing system” stage.

Specs:
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ELITE LGA 1151
GTX 1060 graphics card
Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core/16-Thread Processor
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe PCI-E 2TB Solid State Drive
G.SKILL FORTIS Series 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL15 Quad
The DVD optical drive is from an older machine

I anticipate the initial response may be to just go with Windows 10, but this machine is a 3D workhorse not intended to go online and I had read Windows 10 poses issues with offline systems.

Is the ASUS Armoury Crate function the culprit?
Or will Windows 8.1 just simply not work with these new intel cores and motherboard? Or anything prior to Windows 10, period?

Thanks in advance for any insight, and apologies if the answer is rudimentary. One can always hope.

RMT

I've not heard that offline performance is subject to problems when used under windows 10 nor that there is any current issue in booting ASUS boards arising from gaming mode/ Armoury Crate .

If this were a 10 machine I would suggest that you use the latest install files and the media creation tool available from MS and ensure the bios is uptodate.

These two updates often help.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Jan 25, 2019
Thank you both,

alexoiu - No. With just one RAM module in place, when it booted, the message appeared that repairs needed to be done. I selected the "restart" option to fix it. It booted extremely quickly and without any issues. It also isn't sluggish in the OS environment.

Does this mean that the BIOS has been reset and I should be able to reinstall the other RAM modules? I was going to proceed, but since I don't know the significance of how the RAM plays a role, I thought I would ask first before proceeding.

Thank you.

Jan 25, 2019
You solved it Alexoiu; I downloaded the latest BIOS update, and after installing, it booted properly with all the RAM modules in place. It's been tested for about an hour and it's running beautifully. Thank you for your time and insight, it's greatly appreciated.

Incidentally, maybe you could answer; why would an update be required on a brand new BIOS if the OS being installed predates the original, new BIOS?

I'm just curious why it was necessary.

Again, thank you!
RMTkona

Thank you Karenjoly for your input as well.

You're welcome. I'm not sure if answering your question, but the memory issue looked like a compatibility related one (BIOS not entirely supporting larger size RAM modules). That's why I suggested a BIOS update.
BIOS is the interface that enables communication between various add-on modules and the main system. Depending on the available time, engineers try to ensure compatibility with as many devices as possible. They can not test/cover them all, therefore newer BIOS versions released afterwards. Luckily, the memory issue had been considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.