Question Z390 Aorus Elite red dram led

Aug 7, 2019
Hey, first time here. I've got this brand new system and when I turn it on, the CPU led flashes red quickly then the dram led stays red for about 5 or 10 seconds before the mobo turns off and restarts. I've reset the bios multiple times using the reset pins. I haven't been able to remove the cmos battery, my nails are too short and I don't have a screwdriver small enough to lift it up. I have two sticks of ram, tested both in a single slot and different slots, always the same result. The only difference when I reset the bios or change slots is that the mobo will do a quick CPU then dram flash and restart. I assume that's just the bios getting the ram jdec/pnp values. But then it goes back to that same restart loop I mentioned first. I also tried without ram sticks and the same thing happens. I don't have any CPU or ram that is compatible available.

Edit: forgot to mention, all fans turn on, the rgb on the mobo doesnt turn on. The rgb on the mobo does a quick white flash when I turn the psu on however but I assume that's normal. Also tried with and without my 1070ti, same thing.

I live in a backwards place for computers, so far I only found one store that will have compatible ram for testing on Monday. Their test mobo doesnt support 9th gen but can at least test my ram. I haven't done a breadboard yet, but I will tomorrow and also try to reslot the CPU. Also gonna take a pic of the slot and check the pins. All my parts come from different retailers online, so I have to a bit specific with what I send for warranty.

I kind of doubt both ram sticks would come fried. Anyone has any idea or what I should test more or look for?

Specs
  • I7 9700k, BX80684I79700K should be a p0 die, so no bios update needed.
  • Z390 Aorus Elite
  • 2 sticks of Kingston hyperx fury 16gb 3200mhz
  • Corsair Ax750 gold (8 years old, but it's a good psu and was running my old system without issues)
  • H212+ for cooling, not planning on overclocking yet and was going to change it later if needed.
As a side note, gigabyte lists HX432C18FB2/16, as being a compatible ram, but that product code doesnt exist, mine is HX432C18FB/16, so I assume that's just gigabyte being gigabyte. It has the same specs in the compatibility list. I know it's not a decent ram, but again, backwards country, so availability and prices are all a bit out there.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Only a few things you can do here, find some other RAM to test, or contact motherboard vendor support and see what they suggest. Odd thing about that RAM model, I think I got that model for my son and his system would not work with it either, we swapped for another brand and everything was good. I use HyperX Ram in many systems though, my desktop runs it and so do my laptops with no issues.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Aug 7, 2019
So,
  • Ran it outside the case on top fo the anti-static plastic
  • Reseated the cpu
  • Tried with 4+8 and only the 8 pins cable on
Same results.

Here's a photo of the slot: View: https://i.imgur.com/6QB8W58.jpg

I couldn't see any bent pins or anything wrong with it.

On a side note, I'm using CM Mastergel Maker Nano and it's a very thin thermal paste, you need to put even less than a pea-size, so there was a bit of spill on the sides of the cpu lid. Nothing that touched the cpu's pcb itself, but even if it had, this thermal paste isn't electrically conductive.

I'm going to open a support ticket with gigabyte today and hopefully I can test it with a different ram on monday.

Aug 7, 2019
Gigabyte replied saying this memory isn't in the compatible list. I pointed out the product code discrepancy, but got no reply to that yet. It's possible that if the bios has a list of rams and presets, that it is encoded wrong there too, so that's might be why it doesn't work.

I guess I will know more on monday, hopefully DDR4 ram will have arrived to the store I contacted and I will be able to test with a different ram.

Aug 7, 2019
The motherboard was tested with a different memory and is working just fine.

So for the record, HX432C18FB/16 doesn't work on the z390 Aorus Elite. It's listed with a non-existing product code in their compatibility list that has all the same stats. So there's some shenanigans going on.

It was tested with a different hyperx model and it also worked.