Question Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI - Does NOT see NVME DRIVE

darkwhyt

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Hi everyone! I really need some help. My rig runs flawlessly, but I'm low on storage. I purchased a 2tb 970 EVO Plus. I figured I would add it as my secondary storage. My motherboard doesn't see the drive. I am updated to the latest bios and have tried to understand what I could be missing. Someone said it's possible my motherboard doesn't support this drive, but I don't find anything to support that theory. I actually purchased a second identical drive to rule out it mine was bad. Still nothing. I would greatly appreciate some help. It would be awesome if this was an easy fix and something i completely overlooked.

I see nothing in the BIOS and nothing in Device Manager.

One thing I did, which is out of the ordinary (I know..it's odd haha) was I purchased a PCIE Nvme adaptor. I didn't see it in the BIOS either. What am I overlooking here?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI Link to the specs --> https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf

Hi everyone! I really need some help. My rig runs flawlessly, but I'm low on storage. I purchased a 2tb 970 EVO Plus. I figured I would add it as my secondary storage. My motherboard doesn't see the drive. I am updated to the latest bios and have tried to understand what I could be missing. Someone said it's possible my motherboard doesn't support this drive, but I don't find anything to support that theory. I actually purchased a second identical drive to rule out it mine was bad. Still nothing. I would greatly appreciate some help. It would be awesome if this was an easy fix and something i completely overlooked.

I see nothing in the BIOS and nothing in Device Manager.

One thing I did, which is out of the ordinary (I know..it's odd haha) was I purchased a PCIE Nvme adaptor. I didn't see it in the BIOS either. What am I overlooking here?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI Link to the specs --> https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf
Is the bios set for the AHCI and PCIe disk mode? Perhaps during updating is accidentally got set to RAID. (Also the support list of m.2 drives does list the 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S2T0 so it is supposed to be compatible). Also are you using any of the sata connectors since sockets sata3_4 and sata3_5 are not supposed to be used when using the second m.2 socket.

darkwhyt

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Is the bios set for the AHCI and PCIe disk mode? Perhaps during updating is accidentally got set to RAID. (Also the support list of m.2 drives does list the 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S2T0 so it is supposed to be compatible). Also are you using any of the sata connectors since sockets sata3_4 and sata3_5 are not supposed to be used when using the second m.2 socket.

Thanks for your response.

Is the bios set for the AHCI and PCIe disk mode? Yes
Perhaps during updating is accidentally got set to RAID. No, this did not occur.
Also the support list of m.2 drives does list the 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S2T0 so it is supposed to be compatible). Thank you. I saw the same thing.
Also are you using any of the sata connectors since sockets sata3_4 and sata3_5 are not supposed to be used when using the second m.2 socket. No, they are all unused.

Unfortunately, after a lot of talks with IT buddies, it looks like I am screwed lol. Apparently this is a common issue. Thank you Gigabyte.... Here's a link to the article I found. Also, I found out if I use an adapter and put in into the PCIE slot, my video card will run at 8x instead of 16x. So weird...

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegaming/comments/kuk7sm/z390_aorus_pro_wifi_post_problem_m2_nvme_possibly/

Revup67

Prominent
Aug 12, 2021
Thanks for your response.

Is the bios set for the AHCI and PCIe disk mode? Yes
Perhaps during updating is accidentally got set to RAID. No, this did not occur.
Also the support list of m.2 drives does list the 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S2T0 so it is supposed to be compatible). Thank you. I saw the same thing.
Also are you using any of the sata connectors since sockets sata3_4 and sata3_5 are not supposed to be used when using the second m.2 socket. No, they are all unused.

Unfortunately, after a lot of talks with IT buddies, it looks like I am screwed lol. Apparently this is a common issue. Thank you Gigabyte.... Here's a link to the article I found. Also, I found out if I use an adapter and put in into the PCIE slot, my video card will run at 8x instead of 16x. So weird...

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegaming/comments/kuk7sm/z390_aorus_pro_wifi_post_problem_m2_nvme_possibly/
Hello all..this was a real pain to solve. July 2023 update - I was running the latest firmware F11 on an AORUS Master 1.0 MOBO with an Intel 660P Boot C drive and a Samsung 980 Pro storage drive as E drive. To be clear, the Intel was in the M2P slot and the Samsung in the M2M slot. Nothing in the M2A slot which is by the CMOS battery. I also have a SATA Drive Samsung 970 in SATA 2 which on page 34 of the Aorus manual which should be similar to other Z390s, shows SATA 2 would not get involved with any NVMe drive due to Lane issues. All worked fine for 4 months. I cloned the Intel 660P with Paragon HDM 17 software to a NEW second Samsung 980 Pro, shut pc down. Discharged, booted up and the New Cloned drive shows up in the M2P slot as correct, which is the cloned boot drive yay but the other Samsung in the M2M slot was not listed in the BIOS. After much trial and error, I pulled out the video card, pulled out the SAm Pro 980 drive in the M2M slot, took out the CMOS battery. I checked at 3.1 volts with voltage meter, put in a new one which checked at 3.3 volts. Booted and restored BIOS to Optimized Bios defaults, both the M2P NVMe drive were there as well as the SATA drive. Not done just yet. Ok, shut system down, inserted the other Samsung 980 Pro back into the M2M slot with heat sink of course, boot into BIOS..walla! Both Samsung Pro 980 drives appear in the M.2 section of the BIOS. The entire debacle was resolved by simply removing the CMOS battery. You might want to take captures of your BIOS as a reference. I was using the XMP Profile which did not load with Optimized Defaults. Good luck