Question Z390 chipset motherboards and 9th gen Intel for new build.

Cerberus_SV

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Well my question is simple but i really dont know if the answer is. I am interested in building up a new system and i want to get the 9th gen Intel CPUs, like i7 9700. The problem is that only a Z390 chipset motherboard supports them. However, as far as i have seen, most of those do not support it out of the box, but only after a BIOS update. The thing is...how do you update the BIOS if the system probably doesnt even boot due to CPU incompatibility? It seems that this situation is only easy for those who have purchased a Z390 chipset motherboard with an 8th gen Intel and then they want to upgrade to a 9th. What about the ones who have older systems and want to buy those two directly?

Lutfij

Titan
As far as I know, all the boards that come shipped from the factory, now, have the latest BIOS on them to enable users to drop in a 9th Gen Intel CPU out of the box. True, at initial launch an end user needed to have the previous gen processor to install the BIOS update.

Reactions: vMax
Yes, all Z390 motherboards support the 9700K and 9900K out of the box with no updates required to the BIOS. Get one with a good VRM if you intend to overclock...Gigabyte Z390 Pro and upwards all have 10 Phase VRM topping out at 12 phases...

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS