Z390 Motherboard Preview: Gigabyte, MSI and ASRock Tested

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Thunderbolt was for the Z170. Thats what the four hidden lanes were supposed to support, but didn't. The Z270 revealed those hidden lanes for use with PCIe or other HSIO devices...so it was probably just a new stepping of the Z170 rather than a redesign.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Gigabyte obviously believes anyone paying this much for an enthusiast-market board will not be using the CPU's integrated graphics, so it decreased the number of connectors to one. You can use it for diagnostics. But maybe the one should have been DisplayPort?

jpe1701

Honorable
Can someone explain the difference between integrated WiFi in the z390, and the previous WiFi on Intel boards? What is the advantage of it being integrated into the chipset?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just cost. Evidently the hardware 1.73Gb/s solution is far more expensive. But practically speaking you'd think they were just shifting the cost from the module to the chipset eh?

jpe1701

Honorable
Yeah right? I picked one up for my ryzen build and it wasn't any more expensive than the Intel 8260 I bought a couple years ago though. I bought the no v-pro module though.