Question Z390 Pro4 & i9 9900k bios

Whoppsh

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
So my bios version for my board is running version 1.40. On ASRock's website is says that the board supports the i9 9900k past V P1.60. Technically implying that my current bio's version doesn't support it. However the CPU seems to be behaving properly, boosting up to 5ghz when needed (Doesn't usually go over 4.8ghz while gaming) And temps are fine (Max temp I've seen so far is 73c with a H80 Cooler).

Should I risk flashing to 1.60 bios version or just not try and fix what isn't broken?

Gaming seems fine, no weird crashes or anything (Computer has locked up on one occasion) I just want to make sure I'm getting the best out of the processor/motherboard.

Edit: Here is the bio's page, https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390 Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

Last edited:

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The 9900k has been supported since BIOS version 1.30, so 1.40 supports it. The mobbo likely wouldn't POST at all if it didn't.

If you follow the directions in the manual carefully it's not much of a risk updating BIOS's on modern mobo's, assuming your power doesn't go out in the middle of an update it's unlikely you could ever brick it. That said if you don't have reason to update, don't.

Whoppsh

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
The 9900k has been supported since BIOS version 1.30, so 1.40 supports it. The mobbo likely wouldn't POST at all if it didn't.

If you follow the directions in the manual carefully it's not much of a risk updating BIOS's on modern mobo's, assuming your power doesn't go out in the middle of an update it's unlikely you could ever brick it. That said if you don't have reason to update, don't.

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Only once have I ever had a problem updating a BIOS.

My Athlon X2 6000 and ASUS M2N SLI deluxe. The update halted two thirds of the way through. I gave it about 2 hours to see what it would do, then decided on a reboot.

Luckily it booted, but things were definitely not right. It was very unstable and crashed just sitting in the BIOS. Luckily the update apparently didn't touch the code for the flashing utility, I was able to get it to complete another flash after a second attempt. (Though it took many tries to actually get to that part of the menu without it crashing)

First motherboard I had owned without a dual bios (I was always paranoid about that)

A very harrowing afternoon as I certainly didn't have the cash to replace that particular motherboard at the time. If I recall I was trying to fix onboard audio issues but needed to update the BIOS for the latest drivers.