Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have a new pc with an MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC motherboard (2 x M.2 ports and 6 SATA ports) currently using one M.2 slot for a 970 EVO nvme drive. I also am using a latger SATA 860 evo ssd connected to the sata ports. However, I'm wishing I had gotten more storage and am either looking to add an additional 970 or 860 evo ssd. I've checked my manual, but really all it has are pictures of possible storage combos, but no mention of which NVME drives and is all in all pretty vague. I'm new to PC gaming and this is a prebuilt from NZXT, so sorry in advance if these are noob questions:

1. Is it bad to utilize both M.2 slots for nvme storage at the same time? i.e are speeds decreased?
  2. Can anyone clarify which specific SATA ports on this motherboard are turned off since I'm using 1 m.2 slot at the moment?
  3. Are there any specifics on what to do to set up the new drive? (Basically I just plug it in and format it in windows right?) Do I really need to wear an antistatic bracelet to plug in an NVMe or SATA ssd?

Thanks!

Hey man,

1. Using 2 M.2 PCIe drives shouldn't be a problem. There's no way you're going to max out both speeds of both drives.

2. Page 34 of the manual shows that the bottom 2 SATA ports are disabled if both M.2 slots are populated with M.2 PCIe drives.

3. You won't need to do anything other than you said you needed to. Just plug it in and format it. Check Disk Management if needed.

A bracelet is advised but definitely not neccesary. If you disconnect all cables except the power cable and turn the switch on your PSU off, your computer will be grounded without power going to it. Just touch your case every once in a while and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

Let me know if there's anything else!

Reactions: kinseyd
Jan 24, 2021
Hey man,

1. Using 2 M.2 PCIe drives shouldn't be a problem. There's no way you're going to max out both speeds of both drives.

2. Page 34 of the manual shows that the bottom 2 SATA ports are disabled if both M.2 slots are populated with M.2 PCIe drives.

3. You won't need to do anything other than you said you needed to. Just plug it in and format it. Check Disk Management if needed.

A bracelet is advised but definitely not neccesary. If you disconnect all cables except the power cable and turn the switch on your PSU off, your computer will be grounded without power going to it. Just touch your case every once in a while and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

Let me know if there's anything else!

I connected a Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme ssd in m.2_1 port, and 2 samsung SSDs to the sata 1 and 2 port... when I try to do a new install of windows the NVME m2 drive shows up as drive 2 instead of drive 0.... I know some refer to this as Computer OCD but I am noticing performance problems... speed problems like loading into windows takes longer than expected... I make aure BIOs setting are UEFI when I do the new install, and installed the Samsung nvme Controller device firmware deal. Any Ideas? Should I just switch the SSDs to the 1 & 3 sata ports just to trouble shoot? Even though the M2 should be registering as pcie nvme?

same motherboard with
z390 gaming edge ac
i9-9900k
Ventus msi 3080 rtx
34gb g.skill gddr4 3000 mhz (i think)

USAFRet

Titan
I connected a Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme ssd in m.2_1 port, and 2 samsung SSDs to the sata 1 and 2 port... when I try to do a new install of windows the NVME m2 drive shows up as drive 2 instead of drive 0.... I know some refer to this as Computer OCD but I am noticing performance problems... speed problems like loading into windows takes longer than expected... I make aure BIOs setting are UEFI when I do the new install, and installed the Samsung nvme Controller device firmware deal. Any Ideas? Should I just switch the SSDs to the 1 & 3 sata ports just to trouble shoot? Even though the M2 should be registering as pcie nvme?
When you do the OS install, have one and only one drive connected.
Connect the others later.
Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.