[SOLVED] Z390 upgrade causing lower benchmark scores.

Apr 21, 2022
Hey guys!

So I recently upgraded from a Z370 Maximus X Hero to a Z390 Maximus XI Hero. I know it was most likely a waste of money, but I just wanted the potential overclocking headroom for my 9900K. So I know this is probably going to be laughed at but I occasionally use a browser based benchmark tool called Silverbench. Previously on my z370 board without an overclock the computer would pull a 55000 score. This was repeatable basically every time. After upgrading to the new board my score has dropped to 45000. I don't notice any performance issues with the PC itself, so I don't know why the sudden low scores. As far as what I've done after the upgrade. I cleared CMOS and installed the latest BIOS. Reinstalled windows completely. Updated chipset drivers. Made sure high performance was enabled in Windows. I'm not sure what else there would be that could cause this. Is there some new BIOS option I missed? Could the previous board have been tuned differently for the 9900K? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
my z370 board would pull a 55000 score
the new board my score has dropped to 45000

try other more reputable benchmarks and see where the system lies in performance %.
3DMark, Userbenchmark, etc.
I just wanted the potential overclocking headroom...
my z370 board without an overclock
you won't see much, if any, overclocking potential improvement with this over the Z370 version of this board.
and since you hadn't even bothered to overclock with the previous, how would you know if there was any difference anyway?
if there is no other reason you decided to switch you may as well just return the Z390 and go back to the Z370.

i had pretty good results overclocking my 8700K with a Z370.
5.2GHz for CPU with ~1.3v.
but the...
my z370 board would pull a 55000 score
the new board my score has dropped to 45000

try other more reputable benchmarks and see where the system lies in performance %.
3DMark, Userbenchmark, etc.
I just wanted the potential overclocking headroom...
my z370 board without an overclock
you won't see much, if any, overclocking potential improvement with this over the Z370 version of this board.
and since you hadn't even bothered to overclock with the previous, how would you know if there was any difference anyway?
if there is no other reason you decided to switch you may as well just return the Z390 and go back to the Z370.

i had pretty good results overclocking my 8700K with a Z370.
5.2GHz for CPU with ~1.3v.
but the overclocking potential lies a bit more on the silicon quality of your chip than the board used.
Could the previous board have been tuned differently for the 9900K?
it's possible there are options enabled or disabled or other default BIOS options that may limit performance some vs the previous version;
TVB, MCE, what exact ranges are allowed for any "Auto" settings, etc...
Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated
have you compared what speeds the CPU was running at on the Z370 vs the new Z390?
compared voltage, compared temperatures, etc?
have you made sure RAM has XMP enabled?
you have left out A LOT of information pertaining to one setup vs the other.

include your complete system specs with make & model of all components.

Solution
Apr 21, 2022
Thanks for your reply! You're right there's further testing that could be done. But it seems a bit weird it's so drastically off.

System specs:

9900K - no overclock
Kraken x62 280mm AIO
32gb Trident Z 3200mhz
EVGA 850 watt Gold
3080 TI FE
The only thing that changed was going from the z370 hero to the z390.

There hasn't been any other changes in the system, all other components IE SSD's are the same.

Scores on cinebench R20 seem a little low. Ranging from 4700 without OC. To 5100 with 5.0ghz -1 AVX offset OC and set to real time priority.