Z390 win7 --> win10

Oct 18, 2018
Hello,

First time using the forums here, tried researching as much as I could and spoke to different individuals as well but couldn't get a solid answer.

So question is, I'm building a new rig since mine fried (was 10yrs old) and upgrading to a z390 (asus hero xi) w/ i7-9700k. The concern I have is my OS is win7, prior to my system dying, I didn't do any sort of back-up or whatnot. How can I go about upgrading to win10 from win7 without having to do a fresh install? I do not want to lose any of my documents or bookmarks I have in my ssd.

Would it be possible to just load into win7 and then upgrade from there? I read somewhere else that they couldn't use their keyboard or mouse when they booted up (from a z390 as well), so I'm afraid of running into a similar issue.

Can I boot from linux in a USB and then from linux transfer my files from my SSD to another HDD I have and then do a fresh install of win10?

Really appreciate any help/guidance I can receive.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They dropped support for anything prior to Windows 10 with Kabylake.

You can certainly boot something else to get access to your files, even Windows 10. It will detect the old version of Windows and place it in Windows.Old. Your documents might actually remain where they are. Your installed programs would not carry over though. (Assuming you have a recent file system, and hopefully with AHCI turned on)

Otherwise, you should just install Windows 10 on the new system with a bare drive, and then install your old drive to recover files.