Question z390Asus board

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
I am a mid level user with this board and want to learn how to use it.
It would take too much time here I think so can you tell me how I can best learn how to use a board; forum, tutor etc.?
basically I had a machine built but he is reluctant to spend the time to show me. I tried the manual to no avail.
I don't want to end up with a machine that cannot boot.
I have secure boot enabled, UEFI mode, but I noticed CSM or legacy is enabled.
I read windows 10 has to be installed in UEFI but am not sure he did that. When I insert a stick and reboot press F8 when I see the logo, all seems to work fine but that does not answer whether it was installed as UEFI. I can make a stick UEFI etc. so am learning by bits and pieces but this seems to be for skilled users. I don't want to have major update by windows which fails if it was installed improperly.
Sorry for the long post but am trying to learn this board so I needed to explain.
Thank you

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure what you are trying to learn. Seems you are trying to install Windows? Plenty of guides out there, but they aren't motherboard specific. Only motherboard specific guides you are likely to find are for overclocking, but most will also be general to specific brands not specific models.

I very much doubt anyone would install Windows 10 in a legacy mode on newer hardware, you would have to do that implicitly. Even if it was, that wouldn't stop Windows from updating, so I am not sure where that is coming from.

You can easily check by running msinfo32 (Windows Key + R for the Run prompt) Enter msinfo32 and hit return/enter. Should bring up a System Information screen. Look for BIOS Mode, should say UEFI. If not, then a re-installation isn't a bad idea, you would simply change the relevant settings in the BIOS before installation.

Reactions: PDN

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
Your reply is correct - let me see if I can be more specific. In the bios I see where legacy is enabled but if that is not a cause for concern it is ok.
I opened system information and secure boot is enabled and the mode is UEFI as it should be. My installation stick is GPT.
I hope this is ok so far.
I can boot from a stick before and after post for installation and will make a new one if and when Windows makes a new version.
I cannot find out how to change boot order only if I had to - again only for learning sake.
II am afraid to make any adjustments but would like to learn more about this board. I guess tutor is the best way - it is for knowledge only.
Summary - the pc is functioning as it should if what I wrote above is accurate.
The manual is of no help.I have learned from home with forums so far but I am stuck here.
Secondly I want to learn about how to change settings in the board for learning sake only but have no one to teach me being that boards are specific to the machine. A tutor for a couple of lessons might be the only way. Do you have any ideas on that subject?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Legacy support is enabled, but it doesn't sound like a legacy OS was installed. You could with that setting enabled.

On a typical UEFI bios screen the boot options should be front and center. You can try dragging them into the right order.

You are asking very basic questions that are kind of covered with general user interface knowledge. Maybe you should watch a youtube video of someone navigating in a BIOS? Again, overclocking is probably the most covered subject as once you have setup a computer, there is usually zero time spent in the BIOS.

Old school BIOS or the advanced view of your typical UEFI should have an entire section, usually called boot options, showing attached devices. The order they appear in will be the boot order. You can usually change this with keyboard commands that will be provided on the screen. IE highlight using the arrow keys and hit return to move a boot device up, or perhaps page up/page down.

All a little different with what keys are used to make changes, but the basic concept of keyboard only navigation is still supported on every BIOS I have had a go at.

As for what each thing does...well, if the basic, sometimes extremely basic, description isn't enough, then don't mess with it. For each term you can attempt a web search, but results will vary. Some vendors use different terminology.

However, a lot of it will come straight from the designer. Say the settings for the CPU, that will be from Intel or AMD and there will be white papers covering the subject. Memory settings are fully documented by JEDEC when they create the standards for system memory. Voltages are pretty straight forward, and the devices they name or have acronyms for will be common industry terms. The more odd ones are usually going to be related to the chipset.

I don't think anyone has made a generic "how to BIOS" guide without a specific goal in mind.

Reactions: PDN

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
A this point as long as I can perform a clean install and or be able to get that spring update I will be ok.
I am going to take a second look at that legacy setting and if different from what I told you I will post back. Thank you for your time.

P.S. The only Legacy or CSM feature I can see that is enabled is "USB legacy support" All else refers to UEFI.

Last edited:

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
I wanted to finalize this thread BC I started it. I finally did find the way to disable the secure boot without deleting secure keys. I put the firmware in "other" mode rather than the default UEFI. I checked with system information and also security device.
i then was able to boot off of a stick not signed. Then I enable d the feature again.
I hope this helps someone with this weird board like mine. Usually it is as simple as a enable or disable..