[SOLVED] Z390e mobo 9700k voltage spikes high under load for no reason

vivideradicator

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019
Basically I have no idea why my CPU’s voltage is spiking up when it’s set to manual. When I do any activity, it’ll decide to spike up to 1.35 volts or whatever it needs. I’ve used CPUZ and HWinfo to monitor my core voltage to make sure it wasn’t just one reading it incorrectly

Power options is set to high performance

I thought it was AI Suite 3, but I’ve uninstalled it even with AI3Cleaner. Made sure it was uninstalled with CCleaner.

I've got the latest ASUS Bios Drivers, month old CPU drivers, and GPU.

I've also followed this guide on overclocking:
View: https://youtu.be/bM5XO96b4G0

I've spent over 20 hours trying to figure it out, googled about everything, and no luck. Any suggestions will help!

Last edited:
Solution
1)Is Level 0 the highest or the lowest LLC setting on that board? [The settings vary between manufacturers.]
Some Vdroop is fine. You want to avoid the voltage overshoots that result from the higher LLC levels. Low or medium is fine - anything but Auto, high - extreme.

2)Yes, that's exactly what manual is. It's easier to start with manual voltage for beginners. Work with Adaptive or Offset once you've found stable settings.

3)There's a feature called Multicore, or All core enhancement. It's the 'lazy man's overclock'. You want this disabled for manual OCs, as it adds needless heat and voltage.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Probably shouldn't be following that guide to a T...
Using manual voltage override instead of Adaptive?
All core enhancement off?
Load Line Calibration not set stupidly high? If it's over the medium setting, you're doing it wrong.

Good move uninstalling AI Suite. Cpu and memory overclocks should be done from bios.

Reactions: vivideradicator

vivideradicator

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019
Probably shouldn't be following that guide to a T...
Using manual voltage override instead of Adaptive?
All core enhancement off?
Load Line Calibration not set stupidly high? If it's over the medium setting, you're doing it wrong.

Good move uninstalling AI Suite. Cpu and memory overclocks should be done from bios.

Should I keep the load line at 0 for now until I see a dip in voltage?

Also wouldn't manual mean that it should stay at that voltage?

Which core enhancements should I turn off or on?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Is Level 0 the highest or the lowest LLC setting on that board? [The settings vary between manufacturers.]
Some Vdroop is fine. You want to avoid the voltage overshoots that result from the higher LLC levels. Low or medium is fine - anything but Auto, high - extreme.

2)Yes, that's exactly what manual is. It's easier to start with manual voltage for beginners. Work with Adaptive or Offset once you've found stable settings.

3)There's a feature called Multicore, or All core enhancement. It's the 'lazy man's overclock'. You want this disabled for manual OCs, as it adds needless heat and voltage.

Reactions: vivideradicator
Solution

vivideradicator

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019

So I've figured it out, it was my LLC at level 7 that would overshoot my manual voltage by 0.3volts. I've changed it to 5 and the temperatures and voltages are much better. Thank you so much for your help!