[SOLVED] Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi not picking up Ethernet cable

Jclau77

Commendable
Jun 27, 2021
Hey guys, I've just noticed that my mobo has started to have some issues recently. Lately, the Mobo RGB lights have stopped working all of a sudden following a case swap of my PC. (Will post a different thread regarding that matter) Then after installing my new 3080 ti the ethernet cable isn't being detected. I've tried every troubleshoot that I've possibly can in regards to resolving this issue. Resetting network settings, swapping out the cable, etc.

I am starting to suspect that some parts of the mobo have either been bricked or died over the course of me owning this motherboard. I've been using this for well over 8 months now and only for the last month or so I've noticed several issues going on with the board. It's still functioning as it usually is but some aspects of the board aren't functioning such as the RGB lights on the mobo and the ethernet cable not being detected.

Regarding the ethernet cable, I did mention that I ran every troubleshoot that I can possibly think of but after doing the network reset I decided to take a peek in the bios, and low and behold, the ethernet cable is not being recognized by the motherboard. Mind you, this used to work up until I got my hands on my 3080 ti and installed it. (Had to unplug everything connected to the mobo obviously.) I can still use my wireless connection but I prefer using ethernet and after spending a whole day of troubleshooting yesterday I'm still facing the same issue.

Down below I've posted a snippet of all the hardware that my mobo has recognized.

The last thing that I want to do is RMA this board. But the good news is, Iive approximately 30 minutes away from the nearest service center in Ontario. But, what do you guys think? Is my mobo partially dead? Or is there something else that's causing this issue. Any potential solution right now would be appreciated. Thanks.

Picture of hardware that's currently being recognized by my mobo: (Note, the Ethernet cable is already plugged in but it's not being detected.)
image0.jpg

Solution
Try pushing in the ethernet cable harder.
On one of my pc's the cable does not stay in the port securely.

If you think the port is really dead, a ethernet add in card, or a usb powered adapter is not expensive.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey guys, I've just noticed that my mobo has started to have some issues recently. Lately, the Mobo RGB lights have stopped working all of a sudden following a case swap of my PC. (Will post a different thread regarding that matter) Then after installing my new 3080 ti the ethernet cable isn't being detected. I've tried every troubleshoot that I've possibly can in regards to resolving this issue. Resetting network settings, swapping out the cable, etc.

I am starting to suspect that some parts of the mobo have either been bricked or died over the course of me owning this motherboard. I've been using this for well over 8 months now and only for the last month or so I've noticed several issues going on with the board. It's still functioning as it usually is but some aspects of the board aren't functioning such as the RGB lights on the mobo and the ethernet cable not being detected.

Regarding the ethernet cable, I did mention that I ran every troubleshoot that I can possibly think of but after doing the network reset I decided to take a peek in the bios, and low and behold, the ethernet cable is not being recognized by the motherboard. Mind you, this used to work up until I got my hands on my 3080 ti and installed it. (Had to unplug everything connected to the mobo obviously.) I can still use my wireless connection but I prefer using ethernet and after spending a whole day of troubleshooting yesterday I'm still facing the same issue.

Down below I've posted a snippet of all the hardware that my mobo has recognized.

The last thing that I want to do is RMA this board. But the good news is, Iive approximately 30 minutes away from the nearest service center in Ontario. But, what do you guys think? Is my mobo partially dead? Or is there something else that's causing this issue. Any potential solution right now would be appreciated. Thanks.

Picture of hardware that's currently being recognized by my mobo: (Note, the Ethernet cable is already plugged in but it's not being detected.)
image0.jpg
Since this started after a swap to a very power hungry video card, my first thought would be power supply. Do you have the 8 pin and 4 pin supplemental power plugs connected ?

Jclau77

Commendable
Jun 27, 2021
Since this started after a swap to a very power hungry video card, my first thought would be power supply. Do you have the 8 pin and 4 pin supplemental power plugs connected?

The PSU is fine, I know it is. I used to have a 3080 before upgrading to the Ti. I have more than enough power to compensate for all of my components. I have an 850W Gamemaxx RGB PSU.

In terms of your question about whether or not I have any 8 and 4 pins connected, yes I do. I know it's connected since before I upgraded to the Ti, the ethernet was working perfectly fine.

Before anyone asks if I tested the cable on different computers, yes. I have. Tested it on my laptop, my old gaming rig that I used before buying this one and it all works.

Jclau77

Commendable
Jun 27, 2021
Try pushing in the ethernet cable harder.
On one of my pc's the cable does not stay in the port securely.

If you think the port is really dead, a ethernet add in card, or a usb powered adapter is not expensive.

Just tried pushing in the cable harder lmao. I did look into USB to LAN adapters which I might try out. I'll see if I can purchase one but, either way, some parts of my mobo might be dead at this point. Might need to contact MSI and see what they say.