Question Z490m-ITX/ac and BCM94360CD

Sep 9, 2020
Dear.
Following the suggestion of the Asrock forum where explain that Intel Wifi Card 3168NGW can be replaced, I replace by my old Broadcom Wifi Card BCM94360CD to increase better wifi reception and network speed. The card works perfectly because it was used in my macbook air laptor in windows and macOS.
As is not standard m.2 connector I plugged in m.2 key A+E adapter. After bootup to windows I installed correct drivers and the card was correctly recognized, but I cannot connect to any Wifi network. Windows reports that there is available Wifi networks but nothing is display. Also if I activated my personal hotspot it not show in wifi list. Check this Capture.

I tested the combination of M.2 adapter+BCM94360CD card in a Lenovo Laptop S540 14 and works perfectly. I can connect to any wifi network.

So seems that may be a problem between Asrock Motherboard and Windows with this card? Could be that asrock block non Intel Wifi Card on M.2 slot?

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
With all due respect since the board comes with WiFi bundled, I'd have left it at that. There was also no need for the workaround with trying to get another adapter onto the board via an adapter. That being said, you could try and make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard.

I wouldn't say that it's blocked, more like the fact that you're trying to run a wireless adapter on a port that's primarily designed for storage.

Reactions: atomizasser
Sep 9, 2020
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, that's true, comes with a Wifi card, but is 1x1 Wifi, with slow 5Ghz rate at only with 2 antennas. With respect, I am free to replace the card if I want as Asrock forum suggest.

No, the port that where I plugged is the M.2 Wifi socket designed exclusively for wifi card. I don't plug in M.2 SSD slot. My accusation is just a guess, since the same combination works on a laptop. I'm sure it's not blocked, it's probably due to some incompatibility with Windows. By the way, I have the las UEFI version available.

Thanks.