[SOLVED] Z590-A prime booting issue

Hather247

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
Hi guys,

I recently did a system upgrade in the last 2 months.
Win10
Z590-A prime motherboard
M.2 boot drive
Core i5 10600k

I installed an intel ME update that was recommended and was attempting to use EZ flash in windows to update to bios 605 but after it downloaded and tried to restart the PC failed to post.
According to the mobo error codes its booting that is the issue.
I have been able to get back into windows since, but it's not restarting and posting consistently. When I checked EZ update again it no longer showed the bios update, except in the update history.
Normally I keep the PC running and don't restart often so I haven't noticed if this is strictly due to my attempted bios update.

Could use advice. Should I attempt to refresh the bios from a USB?

Last edited:
Solution
If you suspect that a BIOS update error may be the cause of your issue, you may want to try resetting CMOS first to clear config remnants that may be causing issues due to changes in how the BIOS parses CMOS settings. If problems persist, try updating the BIOS from within the BIOS itself by putting the new BIOS on a thumb-drive and using the BIOS' own update tool, that completely bypasses the OS as a source of concern for correct flashing.

If you reused an old PSU in your build and your issue could be described as "unreliable boot but works fine otherwise" then it could be an early indicator that your PSU is on its way out, starting to have trouble coping with large load transients that happen at boot-time.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
my attempted bios update.

Any particular reason why you did that?

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason whatsoever to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to".

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your BIOS gets corrupted, which in turn will brick the MoBo.

That being said, my best guess is that you've damaged the MoBo BIOS chip and now, you have corrupt BIOS. Hence the issues you're now seeing. Somehow, it still manages to boot into Win, but as you can see, there are some issues with it.
You could try rolling back the BIOS (if your MoBo supports that or if it has 2nd BIOS to boot from) but other than that, there's nothing else you can do, other than replacing a MoBo.

This here is what i call a life's tax.

InvalidError

Titan
If you suspect that a BIOS update error may be the cause of your issue, you may want to try resetting CMOS first to clear config remnants that may be causing issues due to changes in how the BIOS parses CMOS settings. If problems persist, try updating the BIOS from within the BIOS itself by putting the new BIOS on a thumb-drive and using the BIOS' own update tool, that completely bypasses the OS as a source of concern for correct flashing.

If you reused an old PSU in your build and your issue could be described as "unreliable boot but works fine otherwise" then it could be an early indicator that your PSU is on its way out, starting to have trouble coping with large load transients that happen at boot-time.

Reactions: chris2023
Solution