TheMaristBoy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Hello again guys!

I'm stuck with these two options for a new motherboard:

-Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
or
-ASRock Z68 Extreme 4

The Gigabyte one is cheaper for 50-60 dollars here locally. But my problem is, is it good for overclocking an i7 2600k to, let's say 4.5 GHz? But if I go with the ASRock mobo, I'll have to forfeit on a new case, which would lead to temp. problems :cry: Btw, I choose these mobo's because they are the cheapest here that can do SLI. :D

Solution
Solution
I got into many CrAzY arguments over Phases to the point of people calling me a Troll because I understood the benefits to # Phases : Higher OC. Also, with Higher Phases you can use a Lower vCore because the vDroop is minimized. People with lower phases are stuck with higher vCore to minimize the vDroop. Further, if you spread the AMPS across 4 vs 8/12/etc the VRM runs cooler. edit: in doing so, more phases, BOTH the CPU & MOBO lasts longer :D

chillin15

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Get the ASRock Z68 Extreme 4. Gigabyte just seems outdated when it comes to their bios plus the asrock extrme4 has gotten great reviews on hardware sites.

Also, the rule of more phases = better is true to a certain point. Some of these new boards with 20+ phases have no benefit whatsoever over the 12 phase boards. In fact, more phases = worse in some cases

Here is what Brian Forbes, Intel's engineering director, had to say about phases:

“When I look at these 12-, 14-, 18-, 24-phase boards, in many instances, it appears those designs are trying to compensate for some type of an engineering ‘gotcha’, where if I throw a little bit more at this, I should be able to get more power. And that might be true for a period. But when you start to get to extreme phases where you need those 24 phases operating in harmony…we haven’t seen it done. We’re using FLIR cameras to capture the thermal effects on each and every device. And what we’ve found 99% of the time is that the board is operating and we’re watching components degrading rapidly over a year or six months, where the thermal limits of those parts get exceeded.”"

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hawthorn-farm-motherboard,2963.html

Here we go again! :) I ain't going to friggin argue with you! See the vCore vs OC link above. If you feel 4.80GHz @1.50v vs 4.80GHz @1.28v is good then take a bic lighter to your CPU. It's like your girlfriend telling you that size doesn't matter.

I appreciate some of Tom's or anyone's Articles -- there's articles that are correct and I agree with and those that are wrong and I don't. Many Articles are 'Sponsor' driven ans some that are not.

BTW - Intel produces the WORST MOBO's on the planet. So Brian Forbes needs to focus on doing what ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI already knows -- making a good MOBO!

For what's worth:
(1) Have ASRock Z68 EXt4, Gigabye P55-UD4P and several other Gigabyte MB - Sorry, but I prefer The Gigabyte BIOS. Yes my ASRock MB is a fine MB, but would have bought the Gigabyte Z68 except at the time they did not offer one with IGP hdmi out.
(2) jaquith orginal response was to the 4 vs 8 phases, and from an engineering standpoint, he was 100% correct. Yes when you get to the 16/20 there is a point of diminishing returns - the question then becomes one of cost effectiveness as what jaquith stated is still valid.

chillin15

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

Look, I agree with you to a certain point. When you compare a 4 phase mobo versus a 16 phase mobo, it is clear for the reasons you stated that no one should consider a 4 phase mobo when OC'ing.

However, what is the performance (link me to benchmarks) which show that a 16 phase mobo CANNOT do what a 24 phase mobo can. Whatever your thoughts about intel, they make the world's most purchased processors and if you don't have the hardware to take advantage of a 24 or 26 pahse mobo, there is no point.

I'm glad you used the peen analogy. There is a clear benefit to having a let's say 6 inch peen versus a 4 inch peen. However, when you get beyond 7 inches, you will probably do more HARM than benefit because there is no women who can benefit from a let's say 8 inch peen.

Now replace the word peen with phases and pretend that women are the hardware in my above analogy. There you go.

Now if you feel like spending 300 on a 26 phase mobo in the belief that you will get some benefit (that is not theoretical) from it over a 12 phase, go right ahead. It is your money.

I like Intel's CPU's -- but I'd never buy one of their MOBOs. According to Brian Forbes video he showed a 4+1, and if you or anyone feels that's best of an OC per the OP target of 4.50GHz with 4+1 then buy it.

IF your target is ≥ 5.0GHz then 'I' would be looking at least at a 16+2 or higher MOBO with a proven low vCore and the ability to achieve my target OC.

I totally agree with @RetiredChief "diminishing returns" - spot on.

I'm not trying to get into a Kama Sutra debate, and I've got more inches than 8"; never found a woman to complain - I'm happily married.

chillin15

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

I'm not going to agree with everything Mr Forbes said. I do agree with him that SB is highly OC'ing even at 4+1 phase. I do not agree that is the best config though.

Personally, anything over 16 phases are a gimmick and the onus is actually on those who think a 20 or higher phase mobo will have any benefit to prove that assertion - even at 5ghz OC.

You are STUCK on YOUR OWN STATEMENT of "24 or 26 pahse mobo".

WHERE did I state you MUST get a 20+ Phase MOBO?? I like/mentioned the UD7 for more than its' Phases - like the ability to 3-WAY SLI. I also mentioned the P8P67 PRO (12 phase), UD4 (16 phase) & UD5 (20 phase)!!!

I've stated before though that I prefer the (24 phase) GA-P67A-UD7-B3 as a better choice because it performs equally to the GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 but for a lower price and ONLY if you want 3-WAY SLI.

chillin15

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I am just saying that there is no basis for buying a mobo that is larger than 16 phases for JUST the fact that it has more phases. If you agree with that, then we are in agreement.

People are spending hard earned cash on equipment and I don't want people to expect something that is unrealistic.

I don't mean to direct any of my posts towards you, it's just towards the idea that you will see some benefit if you get a 24 phase mobo versus let's say a 16 phase (again, this is not your idea but some people do hold onto this idea and it's ridiculous).

In any case, getting back to the OP, I think everyone here wants you to get the asrock extreme4

@chillin15 - IF the MOBO has 24 phases but they're poorly utilized then -- you've got crap. IF on the other hand they're precisely utilized and in doing so your vCore is really low, vDroop managed, and all other comparable MOBOs require a +0.1v~+0.2v or higher to achieve the SAME OC then Hell Yeah 24 Phases are worth a lot. However, the e.g. ASUS P8P67 PRO with it's 12 Phase is fine.

This is why I look at links with vCove : CPU GHz, otherwise I or anyone is purely guessing.

People spend a lot of cash only to have their systems fail are wasting their money; "Penny wise and Dollar foolish."

Personally, I think spending a lot of money, $250+, on a Consumer line LGA 1155 P67/Z68 with e.g. 3-WAY is a waste IF you can wait for the LGA 2011. Most folks don't need or run 3-WAY.

--

The $190 ASRock Extreme4 is okay for 4.5GHz with 2600K and on par with the $160 GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 BUT it's on average +0.1v vCore compared to: $210 ASUS P8Z68-V PRO or $188 ASUS P8P67 PRO or the $248 GA-Z68X-UD5-B3.

Ya generally get what ya pay for ...... checked the warranty on the Extreme ? AsRock just bumped it up from the paltry 1 year they had been offering on their Z68 boards to two years ....still well short of the 3 years offered by most everyone else.

I generally see the Asus Maximus ROG Z68 for cheaper ($179) than the Asrock Extreme 4 ($189) and it provides a 3 year warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131759

wing_zero

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

I have Gigabyte Z68MA-D2h 4+1+1 phase using 2500k.. and I reach 4.5ghz without changing the voltage and running prime95 for 12 hours without any problem..

Since this discussion hasn't been closed, I'll contribute that I have the Z68MA-D2H-B3 and an i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz at pretty much stock voltages. It's been stable at that since I got the board, but I've only been running it 24/7 for a couple months since I got my Hyper 212+ to cool it.

I can't guarantee this is a smart choice, but that's the setup I've got and I'm stickin' to it. Next time I'll get a better mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS