[SOLVED] Z690 Aorus Pro heatsink screw

Nov 27, 2022
Can anyone tell me what size screw the Z690 Aorus Pro uses for the SSD heatsink? 2 are captive, I lost one of the other 2.

Thanks.

Solution
I'm pretty damn sure these are M2.5 (diameter) x 0.45 (thread pitch) x 3mm (length)

What I actually measured was 2.5mm x 0.5mm x 2.8mm but the closest thing I could find online was 2.5 x 0.5 x 3mm so either maybe my measurements are off a little bit (micrometer COULD be out of calibration, but I don't think it is) or it's a proprietary part that Gigabyte had made to those specifications which is a definite possibility. I'm betting that either of them would work because those measurements are so close to the same I find it hard to believe they wouldn't be interchangeable if they were actually different. The only thing not too sure about is the length because if it's too long it could bottom out without snugging the heatsink fully down...
Ok, I know exactly what you are talking about as I just got done installing an M.2 drive with board-included heatsink on a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite AX and was thinking during the process that the M.2 drive and heatsink screws were the same, and couldn't figure out why the heatsink screw wouldn't go in. I have a FULL shop, meaning, large garage where I do auto repair and computer repairs out of, with dozens and dozens of bins full of nuts, bolts, screws and miscellaneous parts of all sizes, and could not find one that would fit it even in my five drawers that contain only "tiny" fasteners. As seen here:

TikP30t.jpg

But I couldn't find ANYTHING that was the right diameter and thread pitch. Pretty sure it's a very rare or non-standard, possibly even proprietary size. So I spent like two hours trying to find the one I lost and finally found it. I have no idea what size it was so I will do this for you. Since I still have that board on my bench, I will take the screw back out, take it out to my shop and measure the size and thread pitch and get back to you on it in an hour or so.

Nov 27, 2022
Thanks much! I was going to try to measure it but I'm old(ish) and have too much trouble seeing tiny things. They should really list these in the manual.

I'm pretty damn sure these are M2.5 (diameter) x 0.45 (thread pitch) x 3mm (length)

What I actually measured was 2.5mm x 0.5mm x 2.8mm but the closest thing I could find online was 2.5 x 0.5 x 3mm so either maybe my measurements are off a little bit (micrometer COULD be out of calibration, but I don't think it is) or it's a proprietary part that Gigabyte had made to those specifications which is a definite possibility. I'm betting that either of them would work because those measurements are so close to the same I find it hard to believe they wouldn't be interchangeable if they were actually different. The only thing not too sure about is the length because if it's too long it could bottom out without snugging the heatsink fully down.

In fact, on mine, even using the screw that comes preinstalled, I had to use a washer large enough to go around the nub of the standoff that sticks up a little bit past the heatsink surface to take up that extra space and actually allow the heatsink to be fully seated with no wiggle tolerance remaining. If you know what I mean. Not just big enough for the screw to fit inside, but it needs to be very small diameter while at the same time about to fit over the end of the standoff that sticks up past the surface of the heatsink. Otherwise, might as well not even use the heatsink if it's not actually snugged down fully against the top of the drive because then it's just trapping heat, not sinking it.

Solution