Question Z690 Aorus Ultra Lite DDR5 not detecting M.2 in BIOS or Windows Installation

Mar 10, 2023
Z690 Aorus Ultra Lite not detecting M.2 in BIOS or Windows installation

So I've been at this for a couple of days and none of the solutions I've seen online seem to be helping me out here. I don't want to spend 50 bucks trying to have my local computer repair service to diagnose this problem but I'm losing my patience.

I have this Z690 Aorus Ultra Lite, an SFF PC I built for my sister and unfortunately, this is the last step in the process and it's preventing me from being able to gift it to her.

I've tried turning on and off various features in the BIOSn and reseated the M.2 drive and have tried both slots. I have it updated to the latest (F23a) and have installed the Intel VMD drivers. Still nothing.

• G.Skill 32 GB of DDR5 6000 MHZ
  • i7-13700K
  • Samsung Evo 980 Pro 2 tb

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have it updated to the latest (F23a)
Once you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully, did you clear the CMOS after you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully, i.e, power down and disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery(if you can or short the pins for at least a few minutes. If you got access to the battery, I'd disconnect it for 30 minutes), press and hold down the power button to drain any residual power and then reconnect the battery, see if you're able to get the drive to show up in BIOS.

Mar 10, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have it updated to the latest (F23a)
Once you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully, did you clear the CMOS after you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully, i.e, power down and disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery(if you can or short the pins for at least a few minutes. If you got access to the battery, I'd disconnect it for 30 minutes), press and hold down the power button to drain any residual power and then reconnect the battery, see if you're able to get the drive to show up in BIOS.

I'm a little nervous about doing this. But there's a first time for everything!

This might be a silly question but could I bypass this problem by taking the SSD and installing it on my current computer, installing Windows on it that way and then reinstalling that NVME onto the computer it's supposed to go into?

I'm a little nervous about doing this. But there's a first time for everything!

This might be a silly question but could I bypass this problem by taking the SSD and installing it on my current computer, installing Windows on it that way and then reinstalling that NVME onto the computer it's supposed to go into?

You'd be opening a brand new can of worms....probably more problematic than your current can. It might boot when transferred back to her machine. Or might not. Or might and later become very cranky.

Reactions: Lutfij
Mar 10, 2023
You'd be opening a brand new can of worms....probably more problematic than your current can. It might boot when transferred back to her machine. Or might not. Or might and later become very cranky.

Alright so my plan is this:

• Test to make sure that SSD isn't dead
  • If it isn't, clear the CMOS and go from there

Mar 10, 2023
Lafong's answered your question though for the sake of relevance, you shouldn't do that, just leaves you with grey hair or no hair at all(after troubleshooting).

Won't think about doing that ever if that's the case.

Thank you both.

It would appear that the NVME controller on this motherboard is broken.

Mar 10, 2023
I put this in my PS5 and it's not showing up there either. I guess I got a defective NVME SSD? I'm gonna go try another one but what are the odds of getting a defective part from someone like Samsung. I know this 980 Pro is notorious for the current health issue but has anyone else just been sold a dead part?

TRENDING THREADS