Question z690 Carbon Capacitor name

Jan 25, 2023
edacfb36cebfe8a66e9e62cd9612110f.jpeg

I have a z690 carbon motherboard. I purchased it used, so it has no warranty. MSI will not take the motherboard for service because of this. I tried reaching out to them for the name/part number for the capacitor in question and they were very little help. Took me talking to several different support agents to even get someone to consider helping me find the part number. They suggested having it fixed by a local company, and I found one that would do it for 10$ as long as I brought the correct capacitor. I have tried to find board layouts or something to tell me what this capacitor was, but I cannot find it. Does anyone know the correct one to go in this spot? I've seen some threads talk about that it may not be used for anything important, but it is a perfectly fine motherboard with a minor defect. I do not want to chance blowing the board if it is something important. Does anyone know what capacitor should be in that place?

Ralston18

Titan
No (full disclosure) capacitor recommendation here.

Just a thought.....

Very likely that the motherboard is damaged in ways that are not visible.

So the capacitor replacement, if possible and made, may not work.

And I would be very leery of any company offering a $10 repair. Most repair places require much more than that amount to even assess repair possibilities.

Some companies may return the assessment fee as a credit if they get the repair work.

And many will not accept third party components. Or if the company does accept you bring in the parts (capacitor) then they may not warrant the work. All at your risk and $'s.

Not a motherboard I would put more money into.....

Jan 25, 2023
No (full disclosure) capacitor recommendation here.

Just a thought.....

Very likely that the motherboard is damaged in ways that are not visible.

So the capacitor replacement, if possible and made, may not work.

And I would be very leery of any company offering a $10 repair. Most repair places require much more than that amount to even assess repair possibilities.

Some companies may return the assessment fee as a credit if they get the repair work.

And many will not accept third party components. Or if the company does accept you bring in the parts (capacitor) then they may not warrant the work. All at your risk and $'s.

Not a motherboard I would put more money into.....
The company that quoted me at $10 really just said if I got the capacitor they’d solder it on for $10. I have had no luck with finding said capacitor so I don’t think that’s the route I’m going to take. I got in contact with MSI and they gave me little to no help. Basically said it was impossible to do out of warranty and that I’d have to get someone local to do it. I filed an RMA with MSI and they said it would cost 45$ to have it repaired/replaced. I’m confident the board is out of warranty so I’m not sure if they’re going to give me problems about that. I’m pretty sure I have them the serial number during the RMA though. I filed an insurance claim with USPS so hopefully they give me some amount back. I’m broke as hell tbh I didn’t expect to be paying for a new motherboard.