Question z690 Tomahawk loose M-2 Shield Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sfthlt12

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
I am building a new desktop and I've only done one before so still very new. When I was installing the SSD, I realized that the mount for the heat shield was loose. when I took it off, it looks like the female piece that was supposed to be connected to the MOBO was spinning loose, so the left side of the shield couldn't fasten to the board. I removed all the other M-2 Shields, and the rest of the matching female threads were firmly affixed to the board. Instead of going through the process of repackaging it and trying to send it back to Newegg without the original packaging, I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons. What I'm trying to figure out is if I can superglue the piece back in place so the shield can be screwed back into it or will that negatively affect the board. Hope this makes sense. I've attached pictures of where the piece is supposed to be affixed to the board, as well as the piece, and the spacer screw that goes into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
mFAXEJI.jpg
CGxAW0G.jpg

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I am building a new desktop and I've only done one before so still very new. When I was installing the SSD, I realized that the mount for the heat shield was loose. when I took it off, it looks like the female piece that was supposed to be connected to the MOBO was spinning loose, so the left side of the shield couldn't fasten to the board. I removed all the other M-2 Shields, and the rest of the matching female threads were firmly affixed to the board. Instead of going through the process of repackaging it and trying to send it back to Newegg without the original packaging, I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons. What I'm trying to figure out is if I can superglue the piece back in place so the shield can be screwed back into it or will that negatively affect the board. Hope this makes sense. I've attached pictures of where the piece is supposed to be affixed to the board, as well as the piece, and the spacer screw that goes into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
mFAXEJI.jpg
CGxAW0G.jpg
As far as am concerned nothing or no mounts comes attached to board, but if that mount shown here is a fixed one to hold the Shield or something, then you are on for a toss. and looks like the thread is broken or something.

Sfthlt12

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Ya the mount actually unscrews from the board but the piece that it screws into is affixed to the board by factory. Unfortunately this one came loose, like maybe it was overtightened and pulled from the board during manufacturing or something. I think worst case, that SSD can run without the shield or Ill just move the SSD to another port and leave that port empty. Sucks considering what I paid for the board but worse things have happened so maybe just live with it.

D

Deleted member 362816

Yes exactly, the threaded insert came out. with the shield so maybe not properly attached to the board at manufacture. Super glue out of the question? :p

It wouldn't hurt that or hot glue just to get it in place. Rather do hot glue as I know that isn't conductive.

Sfthlt12

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
It wouldn't hurt that or hot glue just to get it in place. Rather do hot glue as I know that isn't conductive.
Ok well I guess I can always try a very small amount of either and keep it in the original ring that the insert was attached to. It doesn't need to be a super aggressive bond, especially if I don't use that slot. Just sturyd enough to hold the shield in place and not rattle. Is this common or did I just get a crap luck of the draw?

D

Deleted member 362816

Ok well I guess I can always try a very small amount of either and keep it in the original ring that the insert was attached to. It doesn't need to be a super aggressive bond, especially if I don't use that slot. Just sturyd enough to hold the shield in place and not rattle. Is this common or did I just get a crap luck of the draw?

Not common at all.

Sfthlt12

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Just thought I'd keep this thread updated in case this ever happens to anyone else. This morning I carefully super glued the mobo insert back into its spot. Was tried my absolute best not to get the glue outside what looked like the original marker ring. I read on the forums mixed reviews about superglue on certain parts of the board and the reviews were mixed. Pretty obvious its not ideal, but I thought it was worth the risk. Once I get everything built and tested Ill update again. Thanks all!

D

Deleted member 362816

Just thought I'd keep this thread updated in case this ever happens to anyone else. This morning I carefully super glued the mobo insert back into its spot. Was tried my absolute best not to get the glue outside what looked like the original marker ring. I read on the forums mixed reviews about superglue on certain parts of the board and the reviews were mixed. Pretty obvious its not ideal, but I thought it was worth the risk. Once I get everything built and tested Ill update again. Thanks all!

Even if it doesn't look the best it's not conductive and in the end the shield should be in place to cover everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.