Question Z690 vs B760 vs Z790 for i5 13600k?

RulesSpew

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Hey,

I'm building a new pc for gaming and content creation.
I'll be using 2x M.2 SSDS (gen4) + maximum 2x HDD
I don't intend to overclock my CPU, but I know that Z* motherboards have more features.
I don't intend to swap my GPU any time soon (+- 5 years )
Also I'm afraid of flashing BIOS on a Z690 motherboard...since i have no experience with it...

What would you pick? Thanks in advance.

B760

UNLESS the Z790 candidates have features that you would seriously LIKE to have.

This assumes your B760 candidates have all the features you MUST have...enough USB ports; right type of monitor connections; correct connections for your storage, etc. You get that from the spec sheets.

If you rebuild 3 years from today, it's a near certainty you'd need to replace the board due to socket changes anyway.

Lutfij

Titan
The Z series tend to have better quality componentry which is what you'd need for the 13th Gen i5's and above with the K suffix. Z790 chipset board will come with the right BIOS out of the box for you to drop in a 13th Gen Intel processor onto the socket. The Z690 chipset boards will need a BIOS update in order to work with the 13th Gen Intel processors. If your board is bottom of the barrel style, meaning it's very cheap, then they tend to lack any form of BIOS update functionality like BIOSFlashBack(whereby you don't need an older CPU to flash the board's BIOS to the latest version before you drop in a new processor).

If you're asking me which one I'd pick of all the chipsets listed above, I'd definitely get a Z790 and forgo the BIOS flashing ordeal. If I wasn't dealing with a K suffix processor I'd invest on a B series chipset.

All will work.
And I would not worry about bios with a Z690 motherboard that has bios update capability sans cpu.
Even then, the microcode to support 13th gen for most Z690 motherboards was released way back in July and all motherboards made since then will have 13th gen capability.
One choice which was not mentioned is DDR4 or DDR5.
On a budget, DDR4 is still best; similar performance and costs less.

What is your gpu?
Why are you so certain that you will not update it?
13600K is certainly capable of running stronger cards.

Is budget an issue?
If not, buy Z790.

RulesSpew

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
All will work.
And I would not worry about bios with a Z690 motherboard that has bios update capability sans cpu.
Even then, the microcode to support 13th gen for most Z690 motherboards was released way back in July and all motherboards made since then will have 13th gen capability.
One choice which was not mentioned is DDR4 or DDR5.
On a budget, DDR4 is still best; similar performance and costs less.

What is your gpu?
Why are you so certain that you will not update it?
13600K is certainly capable of running stronger cards.

Is budget an issue?
If not, buy Z790.

I'll be using RTX 3070.
I'm thinking about upgrading to nvidia RTX 5** series when they come out, since 4** is a mess, but I only play League of Legends or Minecraft with Shaders, ocasionally some Crysis etc...

Hey,

I'm building a new pc for gaming and content creation.
I'll be using 2x M.2 SSDS (gen4) + maximum 2x HDD
I don't intend to overclock my CPU, but I know that Z* motherboards have more features.
I don't intend to swap my GPU any time soon (+- 5 years )
Also I'm afraid of flashing BIOS on a Z690 motherboard...since i have no experience with it...

What would you pick? Thanks in advance.
You want a Z690, Z790, H670 or H770 chipset for that due to the fact the B660 / B760 chipset lack of enough PCIe lanes thus gimping the second M.2 SSD.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-h670-b660-h610-motherboard-roundup

Last edited: