Z77 Extreme 4 = Crap (Don't buy it)

sg4rb0

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Here is why I hate my Z77 Extreme 4 Mobo & why I recommend NOT buying it.

Issues with Z77 Mobo (in case you're thinking of wasting money on it):

-Intel Rapid Storage Technology (for RAID) has been buggy in all releases, including the latest version. Posts ALL around the internet stressing various complaints about it. It's properly crap & the software won't start half the time.
-Although there's 2 PCI slots for expansion, only one is usable if you have brought a gfx card in the last 2 years (your PCI card will be SO close to the gfx if you use both slots - completely shutting the air supply off).
-If you install 4 sticks of RAM, there is about 1mm worth of space between the CPU heat sink and the closest stick of RAM. I'm using a standard Coolermaster Evo 2012. It's just plain annoying.
-Gig LAN adapter has no 1000 full had set capability (appears not to negotiate 1Gig under any circumstances). I've got the latest drivers - Check out how not awsome the broadcom link adapter is (can't hard set 1000 full on it) in this link http://gyazo.com/a1f9f9bcfc28d21e34eec9e680c41496
-One of the SATA ports shutdown if you use the mSATA port at the back - What a stupid feature that is.

Solution
A more recent example: They claim that they use Nexfet mosfets in their newer Z97 Killer boards. But it turned out they only use nexfets in memory vrm which actually doesn't need much current, just a gimmick... If you remove the heatsink of the actual vrm, then you see those mosfets are just some ordinary low rds (on) fets. Hey at least they don't use d-paks anymore. :p

And this is a picture proof that they are not using nexfets as they promoting on their webpage. http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/xcgal/displayimage.php?pid=58082

Also controller is still Intersil hybrid/analog here while they keep insisting on that digipower marketing... Shame.

sg4rb0

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
bummer lol. It's not terrible, it's just things are designed badly. You can live with a heatsink boxing your ram in, or not using the mSata at the back. The main things that drove me nuts was the RST drivers for RAID. They are the most flakey thing you will ever use. Here's a link that might help you (its a previous topic I answered myself when trying to fix all the bugs in the crappy inbuilt raid controller) - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1775021/z77-extreme-raid-setup.html. That topic will help out so so much if you get issues with RAID. Even after that I just had to re-install the RST drivers again the other day as the software wouldn't start again and caused my array to become out of sync.

For the 1gig broadcom link adapter, I will give you an update if I find out how to fix it. I just brought another gigabit switch to do some more testing the other day. Maybe I'll get it working, I'll have to see.

froller2

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

will take a look:) and i only run with 1 ssd and a 2tb seagate barracuda, and the hell is the msat?

feelingtheblanks

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Moreover it uses very cheap, and unreliable D-pak mosfets. Hard to believe how they manage to use ancient components. False ASRock marketing all around. And they still doing it... They claim they are using digital vrm yet they use Intersil controllers which is hybrid/analog...

feelingtheblanks

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
z87 Extreme 4 is better yes. At least they used some low rds (on) powerpak/lfpak mosfets that time around. Better quality but still false marketing. It still has a hybrid/analog controller while ASRock promoting the digital vrm digipower...

mcdonh

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

well, (mixed expletives) ASROCK, next time round ill get a gigabyte board or something

feelingtheblanks

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
A more recent example: They claim that they use Nexfet mosfets in their newer Z97 Killer boards. But it turned out they only use nexfets in memory vrm which actually doesn't need much current, just a gimmick... If you remove the heatsink of the actual vrm, then you see those mosfets are just some ordinary low rds (on) fets. Hey at least they don't use d-paks anymore. :p

And this is a picture proof that they are not using nexfets as they promoting on their webpage. http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/xcgal/displayimage.php?pid=58082

Also controller is still Intersil hybrid/analog here while they keep insisting on that digipower marketing... Shame.

Solution

feelingtheblanks

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
If you are into mild overclocking I would recommend Gigabyte z77x-ud3h, MSI z77a-gd65 or Asus P8Z77 series. However I'm not sure about their availability at the moment.

If you don't overclock and don't have a plan to have sli setup in the future a H77 board would be enough. Gigabyte h77-ds3h for example.

froller2

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

hmm perhaps asrock hasnt made a driver that actually support that kinda speed yet? you could try contacting them on the forums or call them after the weekend, otherwise look for a new mobo that supports it.

oh and my asrock came today actually had a bloody issue with it.-.-
well somehow i fixed it idk how but i did

sg4rb0

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
My goodness me. A very smart guy on the network forum on toms hardware provided a solution. It was actually the cable that was the problem. I tried another cable and it fixed it. I honestly am so surprised at that. But there we go, it was a user error by me, well cable bloody error anyway. Faith restored a tiny bit back into asrock now :)

froller2

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

hehe:E, had the very same feeling earlier:E when my pc wouldnt boot duo to error 55(memory) idk how but i can now run it in dual channel:E