Z77 motherboard upgrade

Jan 7, 2019
My current specs:

Zebronics H61 motherboard (Worst board that can exist on planet earth. Do not support turboboost, only 8gb ram max, pcie 2.0 x8 slot only, no raid support, sometimes freeze at startup)

Core i5 2400s 2.5Ghz ( Can not turboboost due to motherboard, so stuck at 2.5Ghz)

8gb ddr3 ram

Msi Rx 580 8gb

Question:
Should i buy z77 board (used z77 are cheap) and upgrade to i7 3770k in future?
Or
Should i just buy a b450 board and ryzen 3 and upgrade to ryzen 5 2600 in future?

Main use is gaming. I want to be futureproof and cpu hits 95-100% in games like battlefield 1.

Solution
As the owner of 2 Z77 pc's, I can't complain about performance from dated equipment. However, as those boards are approaching upto 7 years old, you'll tend to run into 2 issues with used equipment. 1) they are used. Expect any Z77 to have seen OC for a good majority of its life, abused by the average, clueless moron and remaining lifespan of the caps is going to be questionable. 2) driver support is dismal at best, most having stopped almost entirely by 2014, with only a few being updated for Win10CE. Apart from audio, the last bios/driver update for my boards was October 2013. And don't get me started on issues with Intel management engine versions.

My advice? Mow some lawns, have a yard sale, newspaper route, anything to bump the...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As the owner of 2 Z77 pc's, I can't complain about performance from dated equipment. However, as those boards are approaching upto 7 years old, you'll tend to run into 2 issues with used equipment. 1) they are used. Expect any Z77 to have seen OC for a good majority of its life, abused by the average, clueless moron and remaining lifespan of the caps is going to be questionable. 2) driver support is dismal at best, most having stopped almost entirely by 2014, with only a few being updated for Win10CE. Apart from audio, the last bios/driver update for my boards was October 2013. And don't get me started on issues with Intel management engine versions.

My advice? Mow some lawns, have a yard sale, newspaper route, anything to bump the budget and get a more current system. Even a Ryzen 5 1600 will hold its own in current games easily. Buying used mobo's that old is playing Russian Roulette with only 2 blanks in a full revolver.

Solution