Z77 to Z370 Motherboard swap with existing Win7 64bit Install

anchit02

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
Hi folks,

I would like to update from my existing i7-3770k on a Asus Sabertooth Z77 to a new i7-8700k on and Z370 motherboard. I have done some googling and learned that Microsoft and Intel no longer support Windows 7 64bit for 8th Gen hardware, and its is a MUST to move to Windows 10 when upgrading to a new 8th Gen hardware.

However, I would like to keep my existing copy of Win7 64bit install, and carry this over to the new Z370 motherboard. I've looked at Asus's motherboard page (see the link below) and it shows that they provide some drivers for their ROG STRIX Z370 series motherboards for Windows 7 64bit

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

I've googled this for the past few days and I've also seen youtube videos on how to put fresh (new) install of Win7 with USB3.0 drivers and such on new Z370 motherboards but none of this have answered my question of how to get an existing and operational version of Win7 64bit to run on a new Z370 motherboard after swapping out the motherboard, processor, and RAM.

TL;DR: I want to swap my Z77 motherboard for a Z370 motherboard while keeping my Win7 64bit installed. Installing a new version of Win7 on Z370 is not an option & updating to Win10 is a No No. Can this be done? If so, please let me know how. If no, that is fine too and I'll stick to Z77 PC. :)

Solution
There is no guaranteed way. Most likely you would HAVE to do a clean OS install. If keeping your exact Windows 7 environment is that important, stick with the system you have.

kanewolf

Titan
A Z370 motherboard wasn't designed for Win 7. You have a registry that is configured for a motherboard that is about 5 generations old. Without a clean OS install you will be chasing "ghosts" all the time, IMO. Either stand-pat or bite-the-bullet. A fresh OS install gives you the opportunity to move to an NVMe SSD for your OS, to clean out all the junk that has accumulated over the years. It is actually a GOOD thing and should be embraced periodically.