Question Z790 "boot" orange led, no post, worked once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2023
Hello. I've just finished assembling my first PC and it worked well on the first try (that was definitely a sign that something would go wrong...). I have a Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX motherboard, and it shows an orange LED for "Boot" ("if the BOOT LED is on, that means you haven't entered the operating system yet." - Says this in the manual). I've ensured that my RAM sticks are plugged in and seated properly. I've also tried using one stick, different slots, etc. Nothing worked. It's stuck in an infinite reboot loop (I think? - Monitor says "No signal", then the monitor turns off and this repeats. I have no way of knowing if it posts), all fans stay on, RGB stays on, and so does the LED that says "boot". So it may not be a full reboot? I have no way of knowing. I haven't been able to find anything useful in the manual or any other forum post. While the PC on I did nothing apart from stay in the bios, I looked around some settings but did not change anything. I then shut the PC down (without saving BIOS settings), opened it and tried to fix an issue with my RGB controller not working, after which, the PC would no longer post.I have tried it with no peripherals apart from the monitor connected.

Here is the link to the manual, if anyone would like to take a look: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z790-ae-series_e_221118.pdf
This is the part list - just a different case.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/92shbK

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700KF 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($387.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($253.92 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte EAGLE OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card ($1169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($279.00 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST A-RGB 0dB 48.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2838.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I have tried clearing the CMOS now by pressing and holding the CMOS clear button on the motherboard (labeled CLR_SW) and unplugging most of the RGB stuff, it didn't help.

I am very new to PC building, any help is appreciated, so thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

Your board has a Q-Flash Pus button on it, refer to page 12 in this guide;

Apr 16, 2023
Hey, thank you, and thanks for the reply!
The RAM sticks are in the 2nd and 4th slot, from the CPU side. I have tried taking one stick out, moving slots around, even just using single channel. No luck.
I'm beginning to think that it is an issue with the GPU not being properly mounted since I cannot see signs of it restarting after failing to post, as the fans keep spinning, RGB stays on, peripherals light up, but no signal on the monitor. What are your thoughts on that? Asking because I cannot test that until tomorrow, so I'm looking for input. Is there a way to tell if it managed to POST without video output? I don't have an igpu (Which I regret now).
I've seen the Q-Flash Plus button. Are you saying I should flash my BIOS? I'm not sure if it'd be a compatibility issue since it worked perfectly once.

Status
Not open for further replies.