Question z790 Motherboard selection ASRock Z790 TAICHI or ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-e

case310350

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Looking for a Z790 MB for gaming. the ASRock Z790 TAICHI stands out for its features, not familaur with this manufacturer. Not many reviews on z790 MB yet.

I know ASUS is good but lack the thunderbolt and a few other things for about the same price. thoughs? was also looking at the z790 MSI Carbon wifi. Tough call on this

Asrock does really good motherboards, being Taichi and OC-Formulas some of the best motherboards you can buy. That said, some users don't go for as their top models, sometimes are actually more afordable than say, Asus top models and they feel like the Asrock boards might not be better.
The more informed tech people actually know that Asrock is know to offer really good bang for the buck, plenty features and attractive pricing with out compromising reliability.

I mean, if it's "for the kids", or even if it wasn't, there are MUCH cheaper boards that are perfectly suited for what you want or need. The boards you are looking at are more in the high end range. Also, if you really want to go with a higher end board, you can also look at Z690 boards which really don't lack much of anything of importance that might be found on Z790, and are probably significantly less expensive than same model in Z790 right now. Also, seems that while it never was for previous generations or platforms, the Z790 Taichi is an E-ATX motherboard, which means it is probably going to be too big to fit the majority of mid tower ATX cases. An extra large mid tower or full tower with E-ATX support would be necessary. Not so with the Z690 Taichi.

Something like this would be perfectly fine for any reasonably capable and reliable gaming system without spending a ridiculous amount on a motherboard, unless of course you have specific reasons as to why you'd want to. Spending more doesn't necessarily net you something better, with more useful features or greater longevity, than an upper mid tiered board. The Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX is a perfectly good choice and the Aorus Elite boards have been pretty solid being basically the successor to earlier generations of Gigabyte Gaming 5 or 7 models.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($300.00 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $559.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 13:41 EST-0500

case310350

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
The size of eatx is a space eater. But additinal features include 2 PCIe 5.0 x16, M.2 (PCIe Gen5x4) and 24+1+2 Phase Power Design also I think thunderbolt. While 200 more is a tidy sum, might be worth it. Something to think about. The gig board is also pretty nice for the price.

I mean, it's not even a question in most cases. It either works, or it does not. 99% of the time. If it does, then great. If it does not, well, then FU, It's not going to happen. It IS basically, that simple. Period.

And IF it isn't, then, clearly, there were other less honest factors involved.

No, didn't mean it to sound "angry". I just meant, that's what the board would be saying if you tried to fit an E-ATX in most mid tower cases. It simply will not work. There are VERY FEW mid tower cases that an E-ATX board will fit and there are actually a significant number of full tower cases that won't accommodate an E-ATX board either. Especially since manufacturers play fast and loose with E-ATX sizes because there is no actual standard for E-ATX form factor like there is for other form factors.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54VJwwLRJBk

TRENDING THREADS