Question Z790 or B760M?

Apr 7, 2023
Which motherboard is good for i9 13900k?

If I put it into "Gigabyte B760M Aorus Elite AX DDR5" motherboard, I will see any kind of performance loss than Z790 motherboard?

Or, performance of the both board are equal?

It depends on the board. While the Z series boards will offer more lanes and generally also probably better CPU performance because the Z boards tend to have better VRM configurations which results in higher and longer lasting boost conditions, there is no automatic assumption that going with the Z790 chipset is going to be the better choice than the B760 chipset without knowing both board models. The worst of the Z series boards is likely a worse choice than a better quality B series board, again, depending on the model AND what you are doing as well as what other hardware you plan to run.

Boards need to be compared based on your exact requirements for the entirety of the hardware involved AND on a specific "board vs board" comparison.

one disadvantage would be that there will be fewer upgrade options available(less M.2 slots, aRGB ports, PWM fan ports, SATA ports, etc) with the smaller board.

and keep in mind, that particular B760M has not received the best reviews.
Where are these not good reviews? Because the very few that I've seen have all tended to be pretty good, much the same as the Elite AX from most generations and for most chipset families have been. In fact, I have and have used in client builds, MANY of the Elite AX boards and have never had any issues with any of them much the same as was true in the past for the Gaming 5 and 7 boards, which is basically what the Aorus Elite AX boards ARE in more recent generations.

a colleague looking to build a smaller system had me do some research and this board turned up a few times with people complaining about high VRM temperatures, bad coil whine, bad M.2 positioning, and other complaints.
I understand, however, the reviews I've looked at both on E-teknix and PC gamer, as well as one or two lesser reputable YT videos, seems to indicate otherwise. Particularly in terms of VRM performance. Sure, it's a bit higher than some other boards, but still well within spec and even the reviewer admits it's likely due to a lack of sufficient airflow in the VRM area on their test system. Besides which, all the boards it was tested against were Z790 boards with obviously better VRM configurations, but also obviously higher costs as well.

In the end I'd have to say that if you are going to go with an i9, on any Intel generation, it makes very little sense to NOT also go with a decent Z series board, and not one of the lower end models. Something in the mid tier or higher should be compulsory for any i9 system. If you want to go with a lower tiered board then I'd suggest that also going with an i7 of some flavor might be a much better idea and in the vast majority of cases will already be overkill for most people's use case scenarios anyhow, especially if all you are doing primarily is gaming.

Well. I am not going to do overclocking. I just want to run i9 13900k at stock 5.4-5.5ghz clock. And 2 sticks of ddr5 6000mhz ram.

And also check this motherboard:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z790-UD-AX-rev-10

Is it better than B760M Aorus Elite AX?
No. The UD boards are at the bottom end of the Gigabyte product stack and I would recommend avoiding them. For Z790 I wouldn't go below the Gaming X model if you go with a Gigabyte board. Particularly if you are using an i9. If you had a lower tiered CPU model I might not be AS concerned with it being a higher tiered board.