Question Z87-GD65

Jul 3, 2022
Z87-GD65 will not boot, no display or way of getting in to the bios. I7-4790k CPU debug error code F2 and 3b. Tried removing all parts and using one stick of RAM in all sockets. Used 3 different brands of RAM too. Also returned the CPU and got a new one still no luck.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to try and drop the processor and the rams onto another board to see if that alleviates the issue. Also, while you're here, inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken CPU socket pins.

A side note, is that a system will need a PSU, cooling to get to POST, what are they?

Jul 3, 2022
All parts was brought separately so the system has never got past this point with me.
Corsair TX850M
I7-4790K
Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3 8gb x2
Are the only things I have connected up to test so far.
The motherboard is in perfect condition all socket pins are fine. It has dual bios and switching to bios A I just get debug code 00 and after changing to bios B it runs through codes but halts on F2 and later 3b.

USAFRet

Titan
All parts was brought separately so the system has never got past this point with me.
Corsair TX850M
I7-4790K
Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3 8gb x2
Are the only things I have connected up to test so far.
The motherboard is in perfect condition all socket pins are fine. It has dual bios and switching to bios A I just get debug code 00 and after changing to bios B it runs through codes but halts on F2 and later 3b.
Then I would suspect a malfunctioning part.

Initially, the motherboard.
Unbent pins does not automatically indicate full functionality.

What specific PSU?

Jul 3, 2022
I can't flash the bios because it will not get to bios screen, no display and the motherboard does not have a flash button. I did put the latest firmware on a USB stick and plugged in to the 2.0 port but nothing. I read that F2 error is the bios going into recovery mode.

Jul 3, 2022
I thought it would be the board too. I was hoping I could try every option first before I swap it out. I have ordered a bios chip and will replace this as I can't flash it normally. After soldering on a new chip and still no good I will give up on the board.

Jul 5, 2022
I thought it would be the board too. I was hoping I could try every option first before I swap it out. I have ordered a bios chip and will replace this as I can't flash it normally. After soldering on a new chip and still no good I will give up on the board.
Hi just picking up on this thread, coincidentally I’ve got the same/ similar problem.

So I upgrade GPU, RAM and CPU. CPU arrived first and went in ok, working fine. Required BIOS flash, all ok. Next day installed RAM and GPU didn’t boot, reset CMOS running ok but really slow. Quick scan said RAM needed BIOS update.

Flashed BIOS again but stupidly clicked on BIOS and ME trying to rush the job! That flash failed and now have motherboard with D0 debug code, on the switchable BIOS mode I have no debug codes (won’t even show digits)

It powers up all components have power just won’t go in to boot.

Looking like a new motherboard, however reading a bit it was mentioned that jumping the JME1 may put the motherboard into recovery mode. Not hopefully, think I’ve actually burnt out the BIOS chip but maybe a cheaper option to try first, it’s not worked under power off, just waiting on some jumpers to arrive.

Prior to upgrading I had to take the case off to identify the motherboard (misplaced the manual) it wouldn’t boot up after that that required a CMOS reset.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022
I have got a new bios chip with the latest firmware on the way, as soon as I get it and try I will post the results.
I also ordered a CH341A bios flash tool off eBay as a back up plan if an older firmware is required.

The few pounds spent could hopefully save the board.

Jul 3, 2022
Ok update on this, I did try to flash the bios with a programmer but it would not find the chip.

So I then desoldered the bios chip and replaced with a brand new on from eBay with the latest firmware and fired it up with fingers crossed and......

It works!.. it is alive and working perfectly.

It was a bit stressful trying not to damage anything else but I used solder tweezers with the right size blades and plenty of flux to remove then cleaned the area and dropped the new chip in place (making sure it was the correct way round, little dot to show pin 1)
Touched the legs with soldering iron made sure the legs was in place and done.

Highly recommend eBay seller
https://ebay.co.uk/usr/chips-of-tomorrow
they did not list my specific chip but after messaging them they sorted me out straight the way for £9.50.