Question Z87-HD3

Salty25

Commendable
May 4, 2021
I have this Gigabyte MB and am running a i5 4670. I recently picked up a GTX 1060 card for the system. I thought about changing the CPU to a i7 4790K. I looked on the Gigabyte site and saw it needed the F7 version for the bios, I had F6. For some reason when I updated the bios I used F8 instead. The system still worked with the i5 CPU.

I picked a i7 CPU and installed it on the MB. The computer would only boot loop. I tried to install the F7 bios but it won't let me since it is older than the F8. But the i5 CPU still worked so I figured maybe it was a bad CPU.

I asked tech support on the Gigabyte site if the F8 would work with the i7 but have not gotten an answer. Before I spend $300 on buying another i7 does anyone know if the F8 bios will work with that CPU?

Thanks.

Salty25

Commendable
May 4, 2021
A friend suggested to me that I just buy a new MB and CPU.

So I'm going to look around for a MB and CPU combo that will take the 1060 I have. I'll probably have to step up to something that will run DDR4 and get some memory for it as well.

Salty25

Commendable
May 4, 2021
Reset BIOS settings.
Remove any overclocking.
Try to boot into safe mode.

Thanks for the answer.

I never overclocked it. I tried to reset the bios and to force the backup bios to overwrite the main one.

I don't have that i7 CPU to try again. I sent it back thinking it was bad.

I'm looking into getting a new setup based around a i5 10600KF.