[SOLVED] Z87-K Cpu fan error

Jul 27, 2021
Hi, when I plug in my stock Intel cooler fan I get an error of CPU fan on load screen, although its fully connected, if I move it over so only 3 of the 4 connections are connected to the board it runs but only at full speed and I have no control. Is this just a intel fan issue and will getting a new fan fix this or is this a bios issue?

Solution
First, don't do that. Connecting fans (And other hardware) in ways they weren't meant to be connected is a good way for unforseen catastrophic problems to occur.

Do you have ANY other four pin PWM fans you can connect to that fan header for testing? If not, then I'd move forward with the idea that there is likely a fault in the fan itself. It's always possible that the PWM controller on the board or some part of it for that header have failed, but it's a lot more likely to be the fan. Might simply be time to upgrade to a better cooler. You can get a decent cooler, much better than stock, for not much more than the cost of a good fan.

What are your full hardware specs including motherboard, CPU, case, PSU fans, etc?
First, don't do that. Connecting fans (And other hardware) in ways they weren't meant to be connected is a good way for unforseen catastrophic problems to occur.

Do you have ANY other four pin PWM fans you can connect to that fan header for testing? If not, then I'd move forward with the idea that there is likely a fault in the fan itself. It's always possible that the PWM controller on the board or some part of it for that header have failed, but it's a lot more likely to be the fan. Might simply be time to upgrade to a better cooler. You can get a decent cooler, much better than stock, for not much more than the cost of a good fan.

What are your full hardware specs including motherboard, CPU, case, PSU fans, etc?

Solution
Jul 27, 2021

My specs are
I7-4790
Z87-K Asus board
275R airflow corsair case
I have 3 3pin case fans

I just tried another 4 pin pwm fan and it didn't work.