Question Z87 Power up issue (USB)

Thom Mullinaux

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
My Z87 isn't powering the USB ports until logging into the OS, which isn't an issue if I had only one OS installed. This means I can't access my BIOS or choose the OS I want to boot up until I've booted into the default OS (Ubuntu's Mint).

The only way that i've been able to get the keyboard to work is to clear the CMOS on my motherboard.

I've also set the system to turn on with key press, turned all keyboard options to 'on' and set USB compatibility to on, but as soon as I restart, the keyboard is dead until the OS launches.

Just to test, I put a USB thumbdrive into the system, but it doesn't receive power until the OS boots.

My keyboard isn't terribly fancy, it does have a backlight. But I don't think it's a PSU issue as I have a 1000w PSU in my system and the most power demanding thing that I've recently done is install a RTX 2080ti in the rig. Should be plenty for all my systems. (2x SSD, 2x HDD, processor, fans, etc)

I'm at my wits end, anyone have any ideas? My end goal is to have the keyboard turn on with boot.

Mobo: Asrock Z87
Processor: i7 - 4770
RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw (DDR3)
Graphics: 2080ti
PSU: 1000w

May 29, 2019
I have to leave and this my only computer access to this account, but here is some information about USB boot power:

https://superuser.com/questions/313...eyboard-is-not-powered-and-have-no-ps-2-ports

Good Luck!