Z87 Pro USB 3.0 ports Not Detecting

Tom Wright

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Hi,

I recently built a PC with an Asus Z87 Pro motherboard. Everything is working fine except 4 of the 6 rear USB ports (the upper cluster, the 2 next to the Ethernet port work fine). They are delivering power because I am able to charge my phone from any of them, however they do not detect a device when it is plugged in. I am also unable to use the USB BIOS Flashback Utility from these 4 ports as it does not detect a USB stick, so it doesn't seem driver related (or at least Windows related). I have updated the Chipset drivers, the BIOS is running v1602 and have tried to install the ASMedia_U3_FW_update but it errors with "Can't Find ASM107x hub controller in current platform".

Any ideas what I can do to get these ports working?

Thanks,
Tom

Solution
Note to anyone else with this issue: about a week after i last posted, i removed my board and checked all of the motherboard case standoffs, and found that there was an extra( that i hadnt noticed) which was short circuiting the USB 3 controller. Once removed, the problem was resolved....and i was lucky that it was only the USB controller that was short circuited..... If you are having this problem, check the standoffs, that may be the problem, and you may be able to fix it.

SirManBoy

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

Hi Tom,

Any luck with this issue? I am experiencing the exact same problem and would greatly appreciate a resolution. By the way, what version of Windows do you happen to be running?

bradsctt

Distinguished
Note to anyone else with this issue: about a week after i last posted, i removed my board and checked all of the motherboard case standoffs, and found that there was an extra( that i hadnt noticed) which was short circuiting the USB 3 controller. Once removed, the problem was resolved....and i was lucky that it was only the USB controller that was short circuited..... If you are having this problem, check the standoffs, that may be the problem, and you may be able to fix it.

Solution

dilbert6712

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

Hi,
Did you have the problem from the beginning or it just started randomly at some time? I'm asking because I built a computer and for the past over 6 months was working great until last night after waking the computer up - the 4 rear upper USB ports stopped recognizing devices. Unplugged, rebooted - to no avail. Plugged them in other ports - the 2 lower back ports - as well as the front panel ones of my case (CM Trooper), both in USB 2.0/3.0 ports, the devices work properly. So it's not a device issue I assume but something with the ports... Any advice?

Thx
Sorin

Benji San

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

I've got a Z87-plus and have exactly the same problem you described. It also started randomly after working flawlessly for about half a year. All my devices work properly in the other ports. I've tried reinstalling all drivers and I suppose the next step is to format my OS drive and reinstall Win8.

Thanks bradsctt for the suggestion that something physical might be shorting the usb bus, need to check it out later today.

dilbert6712

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

Hi,
To update on the issue - I just went to the ASUS website and updated the latest driver from ASMedia (in the USB section)...and surprise...all ports started working again. At least in my case it helped - let's see how long it lasts...

Sorin

srmcb

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

All
I recently bought a Z87PRO board and a i5 4570S. After installing W7 and made all updates I discovered the following: None of the USB3 ports on top of the backpanel worked with USB3 devices although worked correctly with USB2 devices. The two near the RJ-45 network connector recognized USB3 devices BUT were working VERY unstable (loosing them every 5 sec and founding them again and so on).
I tried several drivers update as I could read on various forums on internet but without any success. I then contacted Asus support. They sent me a crappy driver update procedure which failed of course.
So I finally installed additional USB2 ports on an extention and set them on the back to be able at least to use my keyboard/mouse properly (there is no USB2 ports on the Z87PRO backpanel).
I started to think that it was either a design problem or a faulty board. I tried multiple ways to update the drivers but... no success.
I read on one forum (dont remember which one) that the 4 top USB3 ports on that board are ASMedia and the two near the RJ-45 connector were Intel. This was at the back of my mind but I really could not figure out how to get this resolved.
Discussing the problem with a colleague he advised me to try ... Driverpack Solutions 14R410....
I was not very confident but... I tried on a disk he lent me.
I ran the program as 'admin" and ... He found that there was an updated version of 'ASMedia Storage driver' and asked if I wanted to update it. I clicked yes... and ... MIRACLE... the driver was updated. At next reboot, the top 4 USB3 now work fine. However, as I tried so many things, I was not sure whether only DriverPack made it or if it was a combination of manipulations which I did not kept full track of. So I decided to start on a fresh install of W7. What I did is that after the first reboot - first time you get the desktop after installation, I did not use any Asus CD/DVD to make the drivers update. I inserted the DriverPack DVD and made all the update (Drivers) that were recommended. It worked again. The only problem I have for now is that the Intel USB3 ports (the 2 near the RJ-45 connector) are still having that unstable behavior. But at least all others are working fine.
I came to the conclusion that the ASMedia drivers on the Asus DVD are either wrong or something is preventing them to be installed correctly when doing it from windows control panel/system/Device Manger. For some reasons DriverPack was able to do it.
Hope it helps.
S

Tom Wright

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Hi All,

Sorry for not updating this for such a long time. I still haven't fixed it, but I think I may know what's causing it. I was looking very closely at the ports in question and noticed that one of the IO shield standoffs is actually stuck up one of those ports. This must have happened when I installed the board. I would assume this is causing a short which is not only affecting that port but all the ports on the ASMedia bus. Guess I need to reseat the board to see if this is actually the case.

Notice the lower right port has the IO shield stand off partially stuck inside it, could that cause a short? Any way of gently getting it out without having to remove the board?!

EDIT: Managed to get it out by applying gentle pressure to the backplate from the inside. Still not working so it wasn't that.

Regards
Tom

Benji San

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Toms observation seems really feasible. I reassembled every part in my PC (including the motherboard standoffs) after I read that it "just worked" for some people and all ports worked again when I turned it on. The backplate is kinda tricky to get right and it's quite realistic that some piece of it might have ended up inside one of my ports. I'd say it's either that or then the MB screws that causes the short. I'd definitely recommend reseating the motherboard and make sure to not overtighten the screws check that the backplate is properly aligned.

It might also be noteworthy that I've probably tried every possible combination of drivers and BIOS versions so my issue was most likely not caused by software.

romirez

Distinguished
USB3 Problem solved by me:
Damaged component *NCT3521U SOT23-5//NUVOTON* near PCIEX16_1 slot.
z87-pro.jpg

It can be damaged after installing video card.
z87-pro_usbb.jpg

NcA

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
I've just had this problem start roughly a week ago. As a linux user, that occasionally boots to Windows, I've confirmed that the top 4 USB ports do not work under either OS, indicating an actual Hardware failure. There's not shorts, and this problem occurred overnight. I will be contacting ASUS's RMA department and will update with progress.

Risen1984

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

I take it there should be 3 parts at the top as per the bottom?