[SOLVED] Z97 PC Mate cycling when DIMM2&4 used

Oct 17, 2021
I'll try to keep this short. A friend bought a used Z97 PC mate from a used parts store nearby. I mistakenly installed the ramm into 3&4 rather than the 2&4 that the manual tells you to. I didn't catch this mistake until I checked the BIOS [it wasnt recognizing 2x8gb, only 1x8gb]. I corrected it and when i powered the tower on, it started a 5-second long power cycle. I did a speaker test and tested each one alone -- no problems. I placed the second back into the DIMM3 and once again it booted but only recognized 8gb.

Is this a problem with the MOBO and what would you recommend I test/check to rule out possible culprits?

Oct 17, 2021
Install the RAM sticks in the #2 and #4 slots as usual and reset the CMOS by pulling the battery for 30 seconds and replacing.
That was one of the1 first things I tried. I even replaced the battery.

I guess my question should be "is it possible the #2 was either damaged or shorted"

Oct 17, 2021
You never know what you'll get when you buy used parts.

Are there bent pins in the CPU socket?

What happens when you install one stick in every slot?
I feel like an idiot for not checking the CPU pins for debris. After cleaning, drying, and inspecting the MOBO by a different friend, we figured out that the CPU did have both bent pins AND some kind of spider web. Thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS