CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 970 Gaming
SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
RAM: Patriot Viper III, PV316G186C0K, 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97 PC Mate
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2
CASE: Apevia Cruiser3 Green

Since I have to get a new MOBO, I'd love to upgrade to something newer, affordable, and compatible with all of my components.

I'd love even more to not have to reinstall everything.

Any recommendations that will work and not require reinstalling everything? Or is a new Z97 PC Mate my best (read: only) option (I know there are no guarantees) for a hiccup free swap?

Solution
Sorry, I meant reinstalling everything on the software side. I know I'll have to move all the components and everything. I just don't want to have to reinstall Windows, 2.5 TB of games, and all of my other software.
Any Z97 board should work fine with the same install of windows and the same driver set. Windows knows pretty well which drivers to temporarily install. But you will want to install the chipset drivers of the new board after it boots. If you want to be really safe, getting a new one of the same motherboard is your best bet.
At this point getting a motherboard from that generation has a relatively large chance of being broken or breaking after a short while. But if you can find a Z97 board, then go for it. Nothing newer than Z97 would work with a 4790K as far as I know. I don't know of any way to easily swap motherboards honestly. It's one of the most integral parts of your PC, so swapping it is going to take time and effort to move all the components over.

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv
I don't know of any way to easily swap motherboards honestly. It's one of the most integral parts of your PC, so swapping it is going to take time and effort to move all the components over.

Sorry, I meant reinstalling everything on the software side. I know I'll have to move all the components and everything. I just don't want to have to reinstall Windows, 2.5 TB of games, and all of my other software.

Any Z97 board should work fine with the same install of windows and the same driver set. Windows knows pretty well which drivers to temporarily install. But you will want to install the chipset drivers of the new board after it boots. If you want to be really safe, getting a new one of the same motherboard is your best bet.

Solution

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv

Thank you!

For best odds of it working okay, does it need to be a Z97 board, or just any board with an LGA1150 chipset?

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv
Best odds: Z97. But I'd expect it to work okay with any other LGA1150 board which is compatible with a 4790K. Just remember to update chipset, lan, and audio drivers once you get into windows, regardless of the chipset.
Thanks so much! Sorry, last confirmation. So you're fairly confident that if I used an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 as a replacement, I'd be able to avoid reinstalling Windows and all of my software, even though it's going to be a slightly different configuration than a PC Mate?