Zalman CNPS9500 in Dell Optiplex 7010 MT?

the_15th

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
Hello,
Recently I've dismissed my 10 years old DELL Inspiron 530 PC and I've bought a refurbished DELL Optiplex 7010 i5 MT (minitower).
I see that the size of these two machines are more or less the same: could I use my old Zalman CNPS9500 CPU fan in the new hardware?

Thanks in advance.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the 7010 MT uses a LGA 1156 / 1155 / 1151 / 1150 / 775 socket and you remove the proprietary cooler's back-plate, it should fit. Assuming you have all the mounting hardware it came with.

the_15th

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
Thanks for the answer. Sorry, I'm not a technician and neither English native speaker so I would like to know if the back-plate is the plate that covers the CPU or the one screwed on the opposite side of the motherboard.

Thanks again.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The backplate I am referring to is the plate on the back of the motherboard that the stock cooler screws into. It usually is stuck on with some adhesive backing that can stick pretty good. Can be hard to break free sometimes. Other times, it just falls off. I have both situations happen.

I doubt that the Zalman mounting hardware will work w/o first removing that backplate. Unfortunately, that means you'll need to remove the entire motherboard to install the new cooler.

Btw, which i5 CPU came with that 7010?

the_15th

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
Ok, got it.
When I had to put it on the 775 socket of the old PC, it wasn't necessary to remove the backplate: I simply removed the four screws and used the new ones with the cooler. I hope I will be lucky again.

The i5 CPU is the 3470 and thus should have the 1156 socket.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

1155 socket, you mean. But yes, that will be a good upgrade over whatever you had previously in the 775 socket. I have the similar i5-3570 CPU in my Dell Optiplex 9010 MT combined with a GTX 1060 6GB. A really good gaming machine for 1080p/60Hz gaming, if you game. There's only about a 6% difference between the two CPUs.

the_15th

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
No, I will not use it for gaming, it will only serve as office/media PC. Currently I have an old graphic card with 8400 GS NVidia chipset but since Linux (Debian) is the only operating system in this PC I don't know if I will buy a newer one.

Thanks a lot again.

the_15th

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
Update: it seems that I need a 5 pin to 4 pin cable adapter to use it on the DELL motherboard... I don't give up!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If you can't find an adapter, you can use this pin-out to re-wire or splice the Dell connector to the retail cooler fan cable. The 5th pin appears to be unused.

the_15th

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
Thank you very much, I've managed to find one at 1,50 $ on eBay. Meanwhile I can still use the stock cooler.

Let me help a bit with backplate removal process. This is from my old guide.

To remove backplate you will need credit card type plastic, any plastic card will do, no metal to touch motherboard!

5078.backplate%20setup.JPG

Here is backplate. I used as you can see 4 peaces of plastic folded in half, approximate size (width) of already folded plastic is about 1-1.5 centimeters wide and 4-5 centimeters long. First you have to use plastic card (library card, credit card or similar) to lift backplate up a bit to insert those plastic assistants. Backplate is glued to motherboard! As soon as you inserted those FOLDED plastics, you can stick regular, flat screwdriver into the plastic folds and now you can use more force to lift backplate off motherboard, there is no rush here, you might need about 1 hour of monkey job. Lift a bit on 1 side, advance plastic closer to center, move to another corner, and so on. MAKE SURE THAT NO METAL TOUCHES MOTHERBOARD!Upper left corner on my picture is the most difficult to insert plastic and lift backplate, be extra careful here - there are a lot of protruding parts in this location.

The glue, sticky paper located on the outer sides of backplate square as you can see in next picture

5355.backplate%20removed.JPG

As soon as backplate is out, you have to carefully remove this sticky paper, here you can use only you fingers and nails - no metal here as you can easily scratch motherboard, improvise.

Just another 2 cents.

Absolutely forgot.

This is Zalman

bundle.jpg

Backplate looks like the Dell one, so should fit, as lond as distance between holes is the same.