Zalman CNPS9700, was it installed correctly?

garrettmania

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I feel like a total idiot asking this...
So about a half a month ago, I got my first custom built PC after my Dell kicked the bucket. VERY pleased with it's performance. But I took it to a local PC shop to have them help me/teach me how to build it. When they installed the Zalman cpu fan, I was a bit confused because the images I saw on the internet of it being in other cases, it was turned the other way. The guys at the shop had it so that the blue fan was facing the rear of the machine. What I have seen is that the fan is facing the front of the machine so that you can see the fan. They swore up and down that they installed it right and so I thought nothing of it. Then today I randomly was looking at Zalman CNPS9700's on Google Images and saw all of them with the fan facing to the front of the case. So, I opened my case and turned all the antec 1200 fans to low and put a piece of paper by the Zalman (between the heatsink and the front of the case) and the paper was moving towards the FRONT OF THE CASE!

Is my cpu fan installed backwards? Should I re install the cpu fan? If so how hard will it be?

Thanks!
--Garrett

(if you don't understand the placement of my cpu fan, just ask and I'll take a picture of it and post it here...)

garrettmania

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
so the fan should be facing towards the front of the case so that it is blowing the air through the copper fins and out of the case and so that you can see the fan of the Zalman clearly though the window of the antec 1200.

is it a bad thing that it's backwards and how do I go about fixing it?

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Yes...you need to install it so that the fan is facing front and blowing the fan backwards across the copper fins and then out the back. Unscrew the two little screws that hold the metal bracket in place and then remove the heat sink. Then clean off all the thermal grease from both the heat sink and the top of the CPU. Put some new thermal grease on and then reseat the heat sink the right direction and screw down the two little screws again. Make sure that the power wire is in such a way where the fan won't hit it.

garrettmania

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
alright, thanks!
My mom was telling me to take it back there and have them do it for free because they did it wrong, but the bad part about that is that my tower would be sitting in my car all day until I went to the shop.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
^ i think his answer was pretty good.

when reseating it, remember to clean off the grease, and applying new ones.

n yes, it was wrong. :) the fan should blow the air to the outside. not inside the case.

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
what's your temps? the reason for the "blow back" info is from this 2000 article about airflow:
www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/cooling_guide.pdf

with modern cases, there can be exhausts at the top, front, back, sides, etc. so the canonical front-to-back shouldn't be as necessary. if your temps are good, there's no need to switch it around. as long as the air is blowing through the fins, it should be ok.

much more problematic is if the fan is the wrong way. it must blow through the fins/radiator.

TRENDING THREADS