Zalman Outs New Flagship Keyboard And Mice, Dunks One In Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

zahoome

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
"The lack of mechanical switches will turn off most average users..."
The "average" Tom's reader maybe, but not the "average user". I'm guessing the "average user" doesn't know or care what a mechanical switch is or that keyboards may or may not have them. I think the "average user" thinks of a keyboard as an atomic unit that either works or doesn't.

M for Moartea

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015
I hate to be one of those guys but the resemblance between these mice and Roccat's Kone Pure is striking.

http://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/Gaming-Mice/Kone-Pure-Series/Kone-Pure-Optical/

I'm not expecting the reinvention of the (mouse) wheel but it seems to me that Zalman is not even trying.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Dear keyboard makers! Why is it SO DAMN hard to make the perfect keyboard layout?! A little logic in design makes for a great KEYBOARD for everyone. But its SO RARE that I still use my 1995 MS-natural "clone" keyboard. What is my beef? Either you get a large Enter Key or a Large Backspace key. But so few companies know how to to both!

An example: https://unicus2010.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/keys1.jpg
Article: https://blog.unicus.com/tag/classic-keyboard/

For touch typing, having such large keys are very nice to have. WE don't need a HUGE right SHIFT-key (under the enter key) that is larger than the Enter Key!
Making the Right-Shift-Key smaller and sticking the pipe \ keys ( |\ ) at the end makes so much more sense. as the ? / key is on the other side.

This is so much more logical than sticking the |\ key either on top of the Enter key or making the much used back key - smaller.

If I was a keyboard manufacture, I'd also change the island keys to vertical (Insert / Home/ Delete) which I think Logitech did right on some of their keyboards.
Home / End
Del / Page up
Del / Page down
(Delete key is the size of two keys, but goes up and down) - this key is used alot. While the Insert Key is rarely used. As is the Scroll Lock is cob-webs (combine these two)

If I'm going to spend $100+ for a lighted keyboard (also do I don't get decals for characters on the keys like pretty much ALL keyboards to today), it would be nice for such a keyboard to have a NICE layout. Also, companies like Logitech seem to go with cheap plastic legs to angle keyboards, which seem to break - when the keyboard is not bowing due to weight that also seems to last a year or two before failure.

Looks like I'll have to get a $35 Keytronic design from 15 years old design. Old-school, but should last 10 years.

@ M for Moartea +1. It's precisely what I thought when i saw them. Both mice look similar in design to roccat's kone pure/ pure military mouse. The gm5 looks like nearly identical, just without the rubberized coating applied, while the gm7 (though the front is different) looks like the pure and naval storm edition due to it's coating. Curious re the sensors, looking forward to a review.

Indeed. I'm just wondering in regards to the sensor, specs. If Zalman can produce a mouse that's also OEM'd to other companies, but better or cheaper, or at least on par, good for them either way. I'll venture to guess the gm5 might employ the same sensor as the pure (A3090), or, possibly the k.p. military edition (pmw3310H). As for the 17k cpi gm7, guessing must use a laser sensor.

crabdog

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Can't see those mice being successful at that ridiculous weight. That pretty much makes them undesirable for most competitive fps players.

crabdog

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Can't see those mice being very successful with an over the top weight like 140g. That's bordering on ridiculous and most fps players will look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.