Zalman VF-700 Cu enough for an x1950xt (pci-e)?

patchez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
i just bought a new quiet psu and now when i play games... the x1950xt's stock cooler seems soo loud.

so is the Zalman VF-700 Cu enough for an x1950xt (pci-e)?

case: icute 508 (140mm(front), 120 mm(back), 250mm(side)
no other pci-e slots are used, so it wont be in the way...

note: already have a vf700cu in 6600gt(agp), but doesn't seem to be very effective.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
My experience with a VF-700 ALCU was that it wasn't able to keep my X1800XT below 90 degrees when I overclocked it.

So my guess is that the VF-700 CU will struggle with a X1950XT - although to be honest, why don't you give it a go and then spend the money?

patchez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
i would try the vf700 from my 6600gt... but i can't get the memory heat sinks to come off.

anywayz, the memory heat sinks are supposed to be one time use only, so i'd still have to spend ~$14(CAD) to get 8 new memory heat sinks. but then the vf700 Cu is ~$33, there'd be no point in just buying the heatsinks

and like a lot of ppl, i'm likely to ditch the x1950 when dx 10 cards/games are available so spending money on the x1950 almost seems like a waste

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Personally I won't be buying a new card for a while, as my X1800XT can easily cope with what I want to do for now. But it looks as if DX10 is a long wait so you never know, I might be tempted :)

and like a lot of ppl, i'm likely to ditch the x1950 when dx 10 cards/games are available so spending money on the x1950 almost seems like a waste

The x1950xt is a good card. Just overclock it and keep it cool. I have the x1900xtx and tried a multitute of ways to keep this thing cooler. The best cooler I've come across for them is the Thermalright HR-03 it LITERALLY keeps it 20C cooler. I was hitting 82C overclocked with an Arctic Cooler accelero x2 with like 4 fans blowing on the card and I put the hr-03 on it with a single fan it was hitting 62C in the same game (which was BF2142) And you can get some pretty good overclock soutta it to.
http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_hr03.htm

just a thought.

20C? by chance your rig isnt an open case sitting in a freezer is it?

:lol: :lol:

Not at all. Did you think i ment 20C temp or did you get that i said 20C cooler than it was before? just wanted to clarify. I run ATI Tray tools with the FPS, GPU temp, and CPU temp in the corner. And it has yet to go over 62C while in BF2142. I base it off this because it seems to be the one game I have that really taxes the GPU. The Arctic Cooler ran roughly 82C with a few fans on it.

The cooler is great but doesnt exhaust the heat so you will need good case airflow.

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
I own a x1950pro 256 pcix and tried different combination of fans to cool it
but it was not efficient. i was running 65 idle and 85+ full load
i even got a overheat warning when playing titan quest.

The solution i found is placing a old p3 heat sink on the back of the
card where the '' x '' is located.

I applied double faced tape on the lower half of the x only and applied some themal paste in the middle of the x to make good contact with the heat sink
then putted the heatsink in place.

now i'm running 55 idle and 75 full load.

http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0658uc0.jpg

Cheap trick : )

Daredevil_8

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I have a 1900xtx with the VF-900. It keeps a few degrees cooler than stock, but a LOT quieter. Never had overheating issues even when OCed.

meljor

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
damn you jaytotall....... i just ordered the accelero x2 for my xt! :cry:

but i get it for a very low price (10 euro) :lol:

i suppose it`s better and less noisy from stock? what is your experience with it?? mine gets with stock at 95 degrees celcius!

greetz from holland :wink:

damn you jaytotall....... i just ordered the accelero x2 for my xt! :cry:

but i get it for a very low price (10 euro) :lol:

i suppose it`s better and less noisy from stock? what is your experience with it?? mine gets with stock at 95 degrees celcius!

greetz from holland :wink:

My First suggestion is to install ATI tray tools or anything that you can adjust things with. Even if the sole use is to do this.... turn the fan control at 100%. The accelero fan is SOOO quiet you can't tell if its at 40% or 100% If your XT is not overclocked at all you should be able to get better cooling out of it anyways. I was hitting 85C with my xtx overclocked to 710/850. I bumped it up once i got the hr-03

By the way sorry about the info. I did the same thing i though the AC x2 was gonna be awesome but found out the hard way. Honestly it's a good stock replacement but not for overclocking. Just make sure you have GOOD case airflow becasue the stock cooler blows the air out the back and the x2 blows it right back against the mobo. So you need to get that hot air out.

meljor

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
i run my xt @ xtx so not a very big overclock. it can go 700/820 but i don`t think it's nescecary, performance is good @ xtx and i don`t like it to get too hot.

if the accelero keeps it 10 degrees cooler and is quiet i'll be a happy camper afterall. besides, i found that the hr-03 is very hard to find here in holland and prices are high (4-5 times the price of the accelero).

thanx for the tip about airflow, i overlooked the fact that the accelero isn't blowing the air out. that's crap actually.... can it at least make my gpu 10 degrees cooler compared to stock at the same settings?

and should i aply my own paste or use the stuff that is standard aplied?

thanx in advance........ (i'll get my x2 tomorrow by mail they said)

What i initially did was ziptie a 80mm fan to the back of my 3.5" tray in my case so that it blow overtop my whole card to push the hot air away. I didnt see a change in GPU temp but my motherboard temp went down. Oh yes that was one thing. My MB temp went up when i installed the cooler. Yeah the design is sorta stupid but I think they did it this was because the MOSFETS are at the rear of the card and the fan would have to be higher than these and probably add to the card's length. I believe this might be the reasoning. All I say it put the fan on 100% using some sort of app or plug the fan into 12V using a makesift connector or something. maybe they have an adapter of somekind that makes it a 3 pin to connect to the MB and disable the fan speed settings. Just monkey around with it.

Yeah the HR03 usually isn't cheap and is 2 times the price over here. plus you need to purchase a fan with the thermalright as well.

At XTX speed i dont see it being an issue. just get good airflow. I used the stock paste since AC has pretty good stuff but then I removed it once and had to reapply. but the memory uses thermal pads so you have to use these.

meljor

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
i missed the mailman, hopefully i'll get it tomorrow.
i'll respond then how it works for me.

thanx for the responses......

TRENDING THREADS