Zambezi wont recognize 1866 ram

genericiz3d

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I can see that this has been asked a bunch of times, but I can't seem to figure out what is going on. I am trying to set up my new cpu/mobo/ram combo, and for whatever reason my mobo will not allow me to set my RAM speed to 1866.

In the M.I.T. menu, I have tried setting the 'Memory Clock' to x9.33. I have tried adjusting the CPU Freq. up to 233 and then setting the memory clock to x6.00, and I have just tried out this seemingly convenient 'DRAM Easy Overclock Profile' and set it to DDR3 1866. All of which have been to no avail. I am getting frustrated trying to get this set up, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

After I make any of these changes, I receive an error message: "The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking"

Here are the specs (all of which have been confirmed to be supported by this mobo):

CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 125W
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 (BIOS: F7)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB(2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)

I was under the impression that the Zambezi processors and AM3+ mobos would allow setting DRAM to 1866 with little hassle...

genericiz3d

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
With a little more hair pulling and general frustration, I finally was able to figure out the main issue. You HAVE to make sure you specify your memory timing. Gigabytes automatic configuration is useless. In my case I had to go with 9-10-9-27. Hope this helps future troubleshooters.