[SOLVED] Zebra zt420 printer roller stopping then ripping labels

Dec 2, 2018
Hello all. I've been dealing with some issues in regards to a Zebra zt420 printer. I can use it just fine to make labels, but often the paper roll will not wind up and collect the paper, being still for just a moment as the paper suddenly relaxes, instead it'll suddenly rip the paper and start spinning out of control and it won't stop until I open the print head. The only "fix" I know what to do is to stop printing the next label, wind up the paper roll to restore the tightness, and it can resume printing labels until it repeats this action.

I've recently replaced the belt in it since the last one got worn out, but I am baffled as to why it's doing this. Can anyone offer an answer or tip as to fix this issue?

Solution
Some sort of backlash in the paper roll perhaps....?

As an experiment I would unroll the labels for about 2 x the number of labels within which the problem occurs. Then roll up again as you have been doing.

(Likely a pain over all but just experimenting for the moment.)

Try printing with an advance "reroll" to see if the problem ends or is at least reduced.

Also:

Did some googling. Does the following link represent your printer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScZPLlmD5tk

Just trying to get a sense of the mechanics involved. Wondering about the calibration settings - any slippage throwing them off?

Dec 2, 2018

I purchased the same exact belt and it fit perfectly. I've yet to check to see if the belt has slipped or anything, I shall check when I have time.

Dec 2, 2018

Alright I went and opened it up and the belt was completely fine. This sort of issue is puzzling. I'm not entirely clear if it's the paper doing this or some other part of the printer.

Ralston18

Titan
Some sort of backlash in the paper roll perhaps....?

As an experiment I would unroll the labels for about 2 x the number of labels within which the problem occurs. Then roll up again as you have been doing.

(Likely a pain over all but just experimenting for the moment.)

Try printing with an advance "reroll" to see if the problem ends or is at least reduced.

Also:

Did some googling. Does the following link represent your printer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScZPLlmD5tk

Just trying to get a sense of the mechanics involved. Wondering about the calibration settings - any slippage throwing them off?

Solution
Dec 2, 2018

As it turns out, it was due to the print speed, once I got that lowered it stopped doing this issue

TRENDING THREADS