Zeebo, Qualcomm Launch Games Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, I mean the 360 starts at $199 now. I guess we'll see. Perhaps if it picks up momentum they may try and release a version here in the states, but the market is already a little crowded. I guess they can just push the overpriced PS3 out of the way ^_^

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm curious about how this fairs as it's all Digital distribution. I'm not sure we'll see it in the US though based on the markets they're launching at, but pricepoint speaks to people during a recession and a (potentially) $150 console and ~$10 games might just fly.

Hothr

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Smells like a Phantom.
But they can't possibly botch it that bad. They already made it at least as far as them with a rendered mock-up.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I would definitely want to take a look at this console. It looks cool and can store alot of old but good games on it. But will there be a capacity for hi-def gamesother than those mentioned?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Brazil, Russia, India, and China? This console has the potential to decimate the big 3 consoles in terms of overall sales. We tend to overlook these countries as underdeveloped and lacking a technological infrastructure (old stereotypes). To ignore these markets (over 2 billion people, a third of the earths population) is ridiculous. I think with the number of people in China and India who already own cell phones, they've shown they will embrace technology, why not offer them some?

People look at the rampant pirating of software in these countries, but how much of that is simply the result of an underserved market? People can't buy legitamate copies of your software if you won't even make the effort to sell them.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Hothr[/nom]Smells like a Phantom. But they can't possibly botch it that bad. They already made it at least as far as them with a rendered mock-up.[/citation]

haha, i'm glad i'm not the only who thought of the Phantom...

patrik888

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Well, actually i'm from Brasil, and I'm gladly waiting to see what this console will be capable of, anyway there is not any type of propaganda. And just to speak so (I'm only speaking for Brazil, because I don't if the same proceeds in other countries) there is a BIG reason people don't buy games here, it's ridiculously pricey, when in the US or Europe something costs 50 dollars/euros, here it's 250(or more) reals = 110 dollars(or 80 euros).

That being said, the Xbox 360 is 1000 reals, thats for an cheap Arcade version, which is equall to 350 dollar (... ain't that the price of a elite version... hehe), so if that Zeebo is going to the launched in the price tag of 190 dollar = 450 reals, the it will have a nice market, but if it launched for an expensive 900 reals (which is more real if imported from other countries) then it will fail miserably, at least here in brazil.

Guess I made my point.

PS: I wouldn't like to be stuck with oldies on a console, that's why everone own an PS2, hehe.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
every game site ive been to so far say its going to be a flop, but honestly, i think INDIE developers can really pull this thing to the top, imagine 100's of high quality indie games that are on par with world of goo, braid, castle crashers, etc... this could really work out

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
What are the specs of this system? Do we know anything about the hardware and output ... is it 1080p?

How about software? Linux? Custom system? Direct X or openGL?

How about upgradability? Can you buy and attach another drive to put more games on it?

How are they getting already published games to play on their hardware? Many arcade games are coded to proprietary hardware, like older SF games for example... and then the question of how much will games cost?

It sounds interesting to me, I hope they succeed.

alberto_lc

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I live in Bolivia and most people that owns a WII or a 360 buy those consoles because they can get pirated games (5 to 10$us.) (I don't support this).But in countries where the income is low this is the only way since a game for wii will be around 80$us. if new for 360 around 904$us and for PS3 110$us. Consoles are pretty expensive most people import it from US. So this console can make it big but as some one said before it will depend on games and picture quality since PS2 or xbox you can get still good games and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.