'Zelda: Breath Of The Wild' Patch Addresses Frame Rate Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
How does patching work on cartridge games? Does the Switch have write privileges to the cartridge, as well, or are the modified files stored locally on the device itself?

InvalidError

Titan

The Switch has 32GB of eMMC plus whatever SD-card is installed, patches can be stored there and applied on-the-fly by the loader. (Check local storage for a game patch, then substitute those chunks as the game loads.)

It's not a "cartridge" which were non-writeable. An SD-card is the same thing cameras use, and it's writeable.

As for WHERE and how it updates specifically I'm not sure but I would guess it simply finds the game folder whether on SD-Card or the onboard flash memory and change the appropriate data there.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Switch cartridges are not SD cards.

Interesting to know it doesn't display the game at 1080p resolution. Does that infuriate everyone else, or just me? Surely we are at a pinnacle of technology that should easily be able to display the most common native resolution of TV's! I understand its mobile technology in a somewhat handheld device, but come on.......

I would love to see them make another version of the console without the hand held with a bit beefier hardware to display all games at 1080p, I would then buy it without question.

As to the update/cartridge thing, it's possible they put some flash memory on the cartridge for updates...?

dstarr3

Distinguished

Even the PS4/XBone can't put out 1080p/60. 900p/30'ish all day, but that's it. It's tragic. At least the PS4 Pro, SOME games give you the option to choose between 4K/30 and 1080p/60, but seriously. It took this long for consoles to catch up to where PCs have been for over a decade.

I would be fine with 1080p 30fps if that was the minimum fps. And would happily sacrifice the in-game detail settings to achieve this. I don't think there is anyone on this forum that would drop from their monitors native resolution, rather than tweaking detail settings, to get their desired fps.

dstarr3

Distinguished

It really depends on the game for me. 1080p/native resolution is a must, but sometimes I need 60fps, sometimes I could settle for 30. But in either event, it at least has to be a smooth framerate. If it's inconsistent, that's a pretty awful experience. And yeah, I'm totally fine with sacrificing a little eye candy to improve things. From the couch, I'd never notice the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.