[SOLVED] Zen 3 + non-big navi (ie. no SAM) = leaving performance on the table?

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Welp I'm in quite the pickle now with the AMD 6000 gpu announcements, due the part about the Smart Access Memory bringing back the whole "does Intel CPU paired with Nvidia or AMD GPU matter?" discussion. You wouldn't be able to take advantage of the new SAM tech in the new AMD GPUs if you don't pair it with an AMD 5000 CPU, leaving performance on the table, so to speak. Conversely, pairing RTX 30 series cards with AMD 5000 CPU also obviously sees that potential performance loss.

I was full on planning to get the 5800X. I could obviously wait for the AMD GPUs instead of the RTX 3070 like I was planning. But the main problem is my monitor (ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q). It's one of the first G-Sync monitors and so will not work with AMD graphics cards. Buying a newer monitor with adaptive sync just to make the AMD-AMD combo work of course won't make sense at all from a performance/$ standpoint. Does this mean I'm stuck with letting go of SAM benefits going with Zen3/rtx3070?

Solution
Welp I'm in quite the pickle now with the AMD 6000 gpu announcements, due the part about the Smart Access Memory bringing back the whole "does Intel CPU paired with Nvidia or AMD GPU matter?" discussion. You wouldn't be able to take advantage of the new SAM tech in the new AMD GPUs if you don't pair it with an AMD 5000 CPU, leaving performance on the table, so to speak. Conversely, pairing RTX 30 series cards with AMD 5000 CPU also obviously sees that potential performance loss.

I was full on planning to get the 5800X. I could obviously wait for the AMD GPUs instead of the RTX 3070 like I was planning. But the main problem is my monitor (ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q). It's one of the first G-Sync monitors and so will not work with AMD...

kanewolf

Titan

I was full on planning to get the 5800X. I could obviously wait for the AMD GPUs instead of the RTX 3070 like I was planning. But the main problem is my monitor (ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q). It's one of the first G-Sync monitors and so will not work with AMD graphics cards. Buying a newer monitor with adaptive sync just to make the AMD-AMD combo work of course won't make sense at all from a performance/$ standpoint. Does this mean I'm stuck with letting go of SAM benefits going with Zen3/rtx3070?
We will have to wait for tests. It might be a few percent. If you aren't at the limits of performance it may not matter. There is no way to know right now.
Just like PCIe 4.0 NVMe has huge benchmark numbers, 99% of the buyers won't see significant real-world improvements over a SATA SSD.

Reactions: bumblebee953
Solution