[SOLVED] Zenith II Extreme compatibility with PSUs

Feb 24, 2020
Hello everyone!
I have been planning to build a new AMD threadripper build (Probably will be the 3970x) and I am stuck when it comes to the power supply and motherboard. I am interested in the Zenith II extreme, but as many sites like PCpartpicker state that the motherboard is only "likely to work" with all of the power supplies that it lists. Would the Zenith II Extreme work with either the HX/AX860 from corsair?

I have been trying to do some research, but I have been getting really confused with all of the different connectors and adapters. Thanks for any help!

Edit: I Forgot to mention that this will be a workstation that does a lot of heavy work.

Last edited:
Solution
I will probably just be using a single RTX gpu

Still slightly difficult to answer, because a single RTX might be the RTX 2060, at 175W TDP, or the RTX Titan, at 280W TDP. Or any of the models in between.

That said, assuming the worst case, the Threadripper is rated at 280W, as is the RTX Titan. Assume each can hit peaks of 350W just for some extra safety margin, and assume maybe 200W for a hefty motherboard and multiple spinning HDDs, (I don't know motherboard consumption well), and you'd be looking at 900W.

You generally wouldn't be running peak on the CPU and GPU simultaneously more than briefly, so I'd guess the AX1000 would do it.

I would really wait to hear from someone who knows more about Threadripper...

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
power for motherboards are universal. the usual ones are a:

24 pin connector which will power the motherboard
multiple 4 pins for the cpu
sata power for storage drives
molex for nothing really these days
and again multiple 4 pin's for graphics card

the only thing you have to worry about when selecting a power supply for a new build is how much power the powersupply can give! 860watt is fine for just a threadripper, but what graphics card do you plan to use in this system, because if its a hungry one you may need a bigger psu

as i said. in terms of connectors, all modern power supplys will work will all modern motherboards

Reactions: TylerP42
Feb 24, 2020
power for motherboards are universal. the usual ones are a:

24 pin connector which will power the motherboard
multiple 4 pins for the cpu
sata power for storage drives
molex for nothing really these days
and again multiple 4 pin's for graphics card

the only thing you have to worry about when selecting a power supply for a new build is how much power the powersupply can give! 860watt is fine for just a threadripper, but what graphics card do you plan to use in this system, because if its a hungry one you may need a bigger psu

as i said. in terms of connectors, all modern power supplys will work will all modern motherboards
Thanks for your response! I was starting to think that Asus started to put on non-standard connectors onto their motherboards. I will probably just be using a single RTX gpu, because most of my work relies on the CPU.

So right now I'm leaning towards getting the Corsair AX1000, so that would be compatible and give me enough headroom in terms of the wattage?

Still need to decide if it would be worth it to go with the AX over the HX, but I should probably read through more of the threads on here for that.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I will probably just be using a single RTX gpu

Still slightly difficult to answer, because a single RTX might be the RTX 2060, at 175W TDP, or the RTX Titan, at 280W TDP. Or any of the models in between.

That said, assuming the worst case, the Threadripper is rated at 280W, as is the RTX Titan. Assume each can hit peaks of 350W just for some extra safety margin, and assume maybe 200W for a hefty motherboard and multiple spinning HDDs, (I don't know motherboard consumption well), and you'd be looking at 900W.

You generally wouldn't be running peak on the CPU and GPU simultaneously more than briefly, so I'd guess the AX1000 would do it.

I would really wait to hear from someone who knows more about Threadripper and its associated motherboard's typical during-workload power draw, though. I'm just offering a hasty guess right now.

Reactions: TylerP42
Solution