Ziggly OS - New OS

ac130

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
I want to create my own OS, Ziggly OS. As the title suggests. Basically my idea is to have some fun a bragging rights. So if my knowledge is correct then CentOS is basically a copycat of redhat without the support but regular updates. I think they use a program to do this, (switch all the redhat logos and text to CentOS) I would like to do the same. I am a beginner programmer but I have more experienced people as friends and they are interested so they could help me. I would be nice if anyone knows more about this program or whatever they do.

Free copy to anyone who wants it (aka Linux)

Solution
You could make your own build using http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Most distros come with the source code available so you can modify however you'd like but respect their work and give credit.

If you just change logos and such then you shouldn't distribute it as that is using other peoples work and claiming it as your own. Unless of course you clearly state that "This is really Ubuntu but I wanted to have fun making it look like mine." If you found an unknown song recorded by the Stones you wouldn't put a picture of your band on the label and claim that's you singing now would you? Same thing.
And don't forget to set up a software distribution system so that users can install new software and upgrade what they have installed. This is probably the most difficult aspect of producing your own distribution.

Make sure you comply with the GPL Licence. You will need to supply source code for all the programs in your distribution, including the kernel. This is an absolute requirement of GPL.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
You could make your own build using http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Most distros come with the source code available so you can modify however you'd like but respect their work and give credit.

If you just change logos and such then you shouldn't distribute it as that is using other peoples work and claiming it as your own. Unless of course you clearly state that "This is really Ubuntu but I wanted to have fun making it look like mine." If you found an unknown song recorded by the Stones you wouldn't put a picture of your band on the label and claim that's you singing now would you? Same thing.

Solution

ac130

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

It is more just to trick people in my class. I would certainly say that it is a distro and almost all of the credit goes to them. I'm not really distributing it. :D

If you distribute software that is produced under the GPL licence, whoever to, then you must make the source code available. Other wise you are in breach of the licence. It doesn't really matter that your motive is to try to make other people think you are cleverer than you are.

Is the height of your ambition really just to pass other people's hard work as your own?