Zips and Superdisks

G

Does anyone out there know how Iomega Zip100s and/or Superdisk LS-120s actually work? I seem to be able to find specifications on seek times, weights, etc., but nothing ever says how the disk loads in the bay, how heads are positioned, and that kind of information.

Basically, I am looking to find out how data is written to the respective 100/120MB disk, and how the formatting works that allows for floppy storage of that magnitude. It seems a big jump from the ol' 3.5" disk capacity.

Thanks for your help in advance!

dpaige

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2001
Well I don't have the info your looking for but if you trying to deside which is better to buy I'd say neither. SuperDisk Drives are no longer made because they just weren't accepted but you can find them for like $35 on computer surplus websites and Zip disk are not worth it if you compare it price-per-megabyte to CD-Rs or CD-RWs.

Dante

The ZIP 250 internal is a cheap alternative in the sense that the disks are less suseptable to failure. I've had two disks backing up files for four years with no problems at all.

The price of reliable CD/R drives can be higher if you want trouble free back-ups. It depends on your needs.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

I had no problems...for a while. THen I had nothing but problems with zip. My old one just stopped working, then my new one cannot delete anything or format. This is using my friends disks who formatted them in a 250mb drive. Funny thing is that I am the only one whose zip drive will read disk formatted in his computer? The number of problems we are having is ridiculous.

Scott

I take it you've tried alternative drives and disks to make sure it is actually the drive?

Your sure its not a software issue?

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>