Question Zoom Stealing 1 GB Data Storage per Meeting

mrhagerty

Honorable
Oct 16, 2015
Weekly Zoom Meetings for 2 hrs with Cloud Recording. Have moved Zoom app to SD card.
Each meeting steals 1G from local phone Data.
Why is Zoom using this much local storage? No single file can be seen as added when doing a meeting.
How can I delete weekly meeting files created on local for a meeting?

Ralston18

Titan
I am not sure that Zoom is the "culprit" per se.

Reference:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/203741855-cloud-recording

Going back a bit:

This:

"Each meeting steals 1G from local phone Data. "

Just what exactly is happening? Where is the data use (1GB) being "stolen" or otherwise disappearing?

For example; you have some cloud account with 10 GB storage space, you have a Zoom meeting, and the space decreases to 9 GB.

What phone/phone plan do you have?

What are the terms regarding data usage, storage, limits, and charges?

1 GB of storage may cost $X. 1GB + 1 Byte of storage may be counted as 2GB and billed at 2 x $X....

Likewise the phone data use charges may be calculated in a similar manner - not storage related.

mrhagerty

Honorable
Oct 16, 2015
I am not sure that Zoom is the "culprit" per se.

Reference:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/203741855-cloud-recording

Going back a bit:

This:

"Each meeting steals 1G from local phone Data. "

Just what exactly is happening? Where is the data use (1GB) being "stolen" or otherwise disappearing?

For example; you have some cloud account with 10 GB storage space, you have a Zoom meeting, and the space decreases to 9 GB.

What phone/phone plan do you have?

What are the terms regarding data usage, storage, limits, and charges?

1 GB of storage may cost $X. 1GB + 1 Byte of storage may be counted as 2GB and billed at 2 x $X....

Likewise the phone data use charges may be calculated in a similar manner - not storage related.
the data storage on my phone is being reduced by 1GB when each 2hr meeting ends. I check storage on my Tracfone account before and after.
It's not disappearing from my Cloud storage allotment. I delete recordings once I download them to my home PC. I don't download to my phone storage or SD card.
My phone - Samsung galaxy S7 SM-G930VL Android Ver 8.0.0
Phone terms - I have 32 GB max for device. I don't have unlimited data. I buy 1 GB at a time ($10 ea.) which has no expiration but becomes unavailable unless I delete something when used up. My data plan is a one-year card for minutes, text, data.
My question is: if I have Zoom app moved to my SD card, and I don't save recordings to my phone, but use Cloud, why is Zoom using that much local phone storage anyway? And in folders I can't figure out for deletion? Storage will come back for use if I delete unwanted files, but but for Zoom I can't find where the 1GB is being stored, so I can't clear it.
On your last comment, all I know is when I check with my account on Tracfone my data storage amount available is 1 GB lower than when I started the meeting. I found this out when it went to 0 without my knowledge. Then I began tracking it

mrhagerty

Honorable
Oct 16, 2015
I found some information in the link below. Apparently for android phones, Zoom uses from 850MB to 2.4 GB per an hour group meeting. This data isn't related to storing files on the phone but to the operating overhead of managing call-to-call functions. It appears that data can be consumed by a process rather than merely by storing data on a device. In this case, the data that gets consumed for the phone is irretrievable since there are no files that can be deleted after the session. Net result: I'm stuck replenishing data on a pay-as-you-go contract at $40 a month. The only way out of this is to purchase a plan with unlimited data,, but the monthly cost is the same if not more.
See here: https://www.whistleout.com/Internet/Guides/zoom-video-call-data-use#:~:text=Zoom uses roughly 540MB-1.62,bandwidth based on your connection.