[SOLVED] Zotac 1080 TI Amp No display.

Nov 21, 2019
I recently purchased a Zotac 1080 Ti Amp edition on ebay. The ad clearly stated that the card would artifact during stress tests and that the fans did not spin. I figured i may have a chance at repairing it so I forked over the $190 or so to give it a shot. When i first received the card I plugged it in and the system booted right up with no issues and the fans seemed to be working well. I ran a heaven benchmark and it completed the initial benchmark easily. I continued to run Heaven and the second the card hit 70C on the core it crashed the system and would not boot back up. I messed around a little but couldn't get it to boot so i took it out of the system and let it sit. The next morning i put the card back in the system and it booted up just fine. At this point I rebooted into safe mode, used DDU to remove the old video card drivers, and installed the latest drivers for the 1080 Ti from Zotac. System restarted and worked fine for general stuff (web browsing, text editing, stuff like that). I used Firestorm to set the power limit/target on the card to 90% and it ran furmark for 45 minutes with temperatures leveling off at 66C on the die. I then closed furmark and started up Heaven with the same voltage setting. The card reached 70C on the die within two minutes and crashed the system. Again, wouldn't boot back up. I tried the same trick and took the card out of the system and left it overnight. In the morning, I put the card back in the pc and the system will boot, but there is only a black screen on the display. I can hear from the speakers that it is booted into windows but there is no display. Has anyone else had or fixed similar issues? This card is outside the warranty period and I wanted to take a crack at fixing it before I try to resell it on ebay. Any input would be appreciated. If I install both my working video card and the zotac I can boot into safe mode using the video out from my working card and i can see the 1080 ti in device manager. The zotac card also has a blinking blue led on it that, from what I can tell, indicates the card is running properly. Thank you!

System:
ROG STRIX B450-F
Ryzen 7 1700x
EVGA 750 Gold PSU
Regular Graphics card: Gigabyte 1660 Gaming OC

EDIT: I forget which version is the latest bios but i did make sure Im running the latest bios on the motherboard and drivers. I checked for vBIOS updates for the card but was informed by Zotac that there were no updates available. I have tried all of the display ports, the hdmi, and the dvi port as well.

Last edited:
Solution
What is the model for your EVGA PSU? 750 is the wattage and Gold is the 80+ rating. How old is the unit? YOu should also keep in mind that running both GPU's will need in excess of 850W of power. That being said, you will need to tear down the card and inspect each component on the PCB of the GPU as I'm very certain the card was used for mining purposes or was on heavy overclocks or a bad PSU.

Either which way you're going to have to identify the power delivery component and either replace it or call it a day.

Lutfij

Titan
What is the model for your EVGA PSU? 750 is the wattage and Gold is the 80+ rating. How old is the unit? YOu should also keep in mind that running both GPU's will need in excess of 850W of power. That being said, you will need to tear down the card and inspect each component on the PCB of the GPU as I'm very certain the card was used for mining purposes or was on heavy overclocks or a bad PSU.

Either which way you're going to have to identify the power delivery component and either replace it or call it a day.

Solution
Nov 21, 2019
Thank you for the reply. It's an EVGA 750 GQ power supply about four months old, listed here
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=210-GQ-0750-V1

I was thinking about picking up another power supply and only using it to power the 1080ti for testing, but now that you say that, I probably will. Cant hurt to have an extra one anyway. After I saw your post I stripped the card and inspected with a magnifying glass for any signs of damage but I didn't see anything obvious, however the thermal pad between the heat sink and the voltage core was kind of torn in one spot so it didn't cover one of the mosfets fully (about 30% coverage judging from the imprint in the thermal pad) . I don't know if this would cause that component to fail but from what I understand these cards run really hot on the power delivery side, so maybe that was enough to cook it. The torn thermal pad and one partially stripped screw seem like pretty good evidence that somebody had been working on that card previously so I guess I'm not expecting any miracles but you know how it is, always got to be tinkering on something.

Either way, I will update after I have looked over the card again and tried a separate power supply. Thank you.

Nov 21, 2019
I ended up picking up another 700W Thermaltake power supply and using that to power the 'dead' card directly and tried to boot, but got the same thing. The card actually sends a signal to the monitor (it turns on) but only shows a black screen as before. When I put by other card back in and booted from the good card I can still see the bad gpu in device manager and gpu-z but that's it. Unless anybody has any miracle fixes it seems like a bad chip to me. Too bad too because if the original owner, who i don't know, had registered it, it might still be under warranty.