[SOLVED] Zotac 1080ti Amp Extreme Fans Not Spinning

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
My fans on my card don't spin anymore.

I tried using MSI Afterburner as well as Firestorm to set a custom fan curve but even when I crank it up in the software to 100%, the fans don't spin.

I can't run any benchmark/stress test software except for UserBenchmark. Furmark, Passmark, Unigine crashes the system.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers but same result. The system recognizes that it's a 1080ti and it says it's working properly in Device Manager so I don't know what the problem is.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong and how to fix?

Solution
Is the card still within the warranty? If so Warranty repair or replacement is the way too go. If that doesn't work out, there are after market replacement coolers available for graphics cards.

Like this one for instance.

RAIJINTEK MORPHEUS II Superior High-End VGA Cooler, 12Pcs 6mm Heat-Pipe, TDP Up To 360 Watts, Fully Nickel Plating, 24 RAM Heat-Sinks & 1 Big VRM Heat-Sink, High Compatibility With Modern & Future VGA

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28H1001
Is there still a display?

Check the PCIE power cables to the graphics card. You can also try moving the card to a different slot.

Assuming that everything is as it should be (?), the fans may be off on purpose until it hits a predetermined temperature. If the graphics card uses one of the quiet fan modes, try playing a game until the gets to around 70 C. If the fans are going to start on that quiet mode they should be running by then.

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
There's still a display. And it isn't a power issue. I've checked and rechecked the connections. My other 1080ti works just fine on the same slot. The only game I can actually play right now is league of legends T_T

Then do the test. Run the card until the temperature hits 70 C. If the fans are on a quiet mode, the fans should start by that temperature.

Otherwise check the fan connector in the graphics card (you may be able to see it through the holes on the case.

Check the fans to see if the spin easily. The fans may have seized.

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
I think the card is busted. The fan header is connected properly, I disconnected it and reconnected it securely. The GPU reached a temp of 78C and still no fans. Sigh, I hope Zotac Customer service is pretty good.

Is the card still within the warranty? If so Warranty repair or replacement is the way too go. If that doesn't work out, there are after market replacement coolers available for graphics cards.

Like this one for instance.

RAIJINTEK MORPHEUS II Superior High-End VGA Cooler, 12Pcs 6mm Heat-Pipe, TDP Up To 360 Watts, Fully Nickel Plating, 24 RAM Heat-Sinks & 1 Big VRM Heat-Sink, High Compatibility With Modern & Future VGA

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28H1001

Solution

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
I'm not sure but I don't think Zotac will honor it since I bought this second hand about 6 months ago.

Thanks for the link to the cooler. I wonder if the onboard fan header on the card is defective. I'll have to find one that has an external power source.

You can test it with a multimeter. Or you can plug in another fan (depending upon the connector). Arctic Cool also has coolers, but for some reason their site is now considered risky. Neither Chrome or Firefox would open the site.

But they do offer direct replacement coolers and fans for most of the Nvidia graphics card models.

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
I'll give that a try and report back. I hope it's just a fan issue. I am a little concerned that it crashed right away when I ran Unigine Heaven even though the GPU was only at 34C. I wrote Zotac an email and see how much it would cost to get the fans repaired. Thanks for all your help Terry.

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
I got a hold of Zotac Support and they asked me to run a stress test and log the even using GPU-Z. I did as they asked and the entire system crashed as soon as Unigine Heaven started... I got 1 FPS the entire 5 seconds that it ran right before giving me a black screen. The weird part though is that the fans on the card spun at what sounded like 100% for a second and then stopped immediately. I looked at the GPU-Z log and it shows the fans spun at 2900RPM for 1 second and then back to zero.

I'm not sure how good Zotac's warranty is but I hope they can get it fixed as they're trying to get an RMA processed. I'm just afraid it will get denied since I'm not the original owner and no longer have the box or receipt.

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017

So... I have some very VERY GOOD News!

I mentioned earlier that they made an exception to their warranty terms and accepted the unit for RMA. They said that they needed to test it and see if they can fix it. The process will take about 20-30 days.

Since their RMA Facility is close to me (20 minute drive), I decided to drop off the card in person last week.

Yesterday I received an email saying that my card failed their hardware test and cannot be repaired and will be replaced by the same model. I was very happy to hear about this... but it gets better. They also told me that they did not have any more of the same card in stock and offered me a replacement. I thought as long as it was comparable, I would be happy.

Zotac blew my mind and made me the happiest guy on earth today when I went to go pick up my replacement unit... a GeForce RTX 2080ti Amp Extreme Core!!!

I must have thanked her a thousand times over... Now, to find a power supply that'll run this bad boy with the rest of my rig!

Thanks for your time, Terry. I appreciate your advice.