Question Zotac 3080 Trinity OC Thermal Replacement Advice?

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
my gpu (zotac 3080 10gb trinity oc) was getting extremely loud with hot spot temps often at 105c. i opened it up and found out why:
IMG_3863.jpg

after plucking off the old pads with tweezers and cleaning off the residue from those and the paste with isopropyl alchohol and noctua na-scw1 wipes, i've arrived here:
IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

as you can see, there's still some residue in places i just can't get off. should i worry about that? are my 85x45x2mm thermalright thermal pads and nt-h2 thermal paste good for the job here? should i go about applying them a certain way? anything else i should know? i'd greatly appreciate any and all advice since there's several hundred dollars riding on this

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
What did you use to remove the thermal paste/thermal pad's oil to leave that kind of residue behind? Using isopropyl alcohol and some cotton swabs or a coffee filter helps take them off without much fuss.

are my 85x45x2mm thermalright thermal pads and nt-h2 thermal paste good for the job here?
Did you throw away the pads that came shipped with the card? If not, use them to act as a reference to the thickness for the pads you'd need to replace them with. Adding too thin a pad will result in improper heat transmission to the heatsink or none thereof, conversely if you have a thicker thermal pad you can and will cause the cooler's contact plate to not sit flush with the GPU chip.

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
i honestly don't remember exactly what i used now, but i ended up removing the remaining residue with a blunt plastic stick thing (don't ask me exactly what it was) i found lying around. temps max out at 80c with modest fan volume now in witcher 3 next gen at max settings. i'd call that a success